Thread: Meeting Poachers in Remote Areas without Cell Service

Angry Meeting Poachers in Remote Areas without Cell Service

I'm interested in what other folks do in this situation: I have run into poachers in remote places (usually bait fishers and fish killers where it's barbless, artificial, C&R only), and I've got no cell service to call caltip. In one case, I got a positive ID on a license plate, but usually there's more than one car in the parking areas.

What I do is scold them and tell them they need to quit now and then I tell a white lie about the area being heavily patrolled by CDFW. (My wife thinks I am looking for trouble by doing this).

I've seen a couple of these bastards being led out with a stringer of trout from a wild trout area by a man in green (who I thanked). I'd love to see them all caught and pay dearly.

What do you do?
    Last edited by Sierra D; 01-23-2019 at 07:08 PM.

https://www.outfittersatellite.com/i...4aAnRoEALw_wcB

At 73 I don't say anything but positive things to people because some are ready to go on full attack if threatened.

The truth is there is little budget left in California for any type of law enforcement.

How many Highway Patrol cars do you see on California freeways today?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Budget/Resources....

Hmmm,.... "The truth is there is little budget left in California for any type of law enforcement." Seems like that's too broad a statement. According to media reports, California is in the black and has surplus resources as Brown leaves office. If you're referring to budget for enforcement at CA Fish & Wildlife only, I'd tend to agree as they seem to be in a perpetual state of under funding for the scope of their area and duties.

I'm in agreement with your approach to telling those that I meet in the "boonies" poaching. Especially while hunting. I'm more likely to observe/report. IMO advanced age has little to do with my choice just not taking any chances....
    Last edited by Darian; 01-23-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

If I was King for a day........all revenue from fish and "wildlife" fees would NOT go the the general fund for the state.
    Only 20% of fines go the F&W. the rest goes to the county where the violation occurred, and not to more wardens.
    Besides the Tunnel, I think this is about the biggest issue for fishers in the future. It's not just back-country violations either.......
    On a little trib here that was rehabbed/ruined a couple years ago, I was watching a guy high sticking quietly, until I realized he was bouncing a worm in a C&R area......I mentioned he was maybe asking for a fine.....he opened his jacket to show me he was armed and told me he carried it for people like me. I phoned him in on speed dial, and took a pic before I left.......
    Lets hold Gavin"s feet to the fire, and make a change.....IF there is really a surplus of money, now is the time to make a change.

Jim
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

observe and report is the safest.

I try and make an assessment if perhaps the individual is just not informed. If I think this is the case I will find a polite way to educate them.
    Its called profiling and stereotyping haha illegal for law enforcement but not for me!!

If it is obvious that they are an intentional poacher it may be best to observe and report.

It does not matter how young and buff you are.... if you bring a fly rod to a gun fight.

There is a reason wardens started caring guns!! They were getting shot at.

scary story bigfly!!

The State of California commonly takes the money from the fishing and hunting licenses fund and rolls it over to the general fund.

This has gone on for decades............

I was going to college to be a fisheries biologist when I ran into a biologist from the CDF&G.

He told me they were run by the politicians and had little say in what they did to make things better.....that was 1960s.

All our CA government agencies are not on our side.......they would love to stop all hunting and fishing.

This is the richest state in America and look at the condition of our failing fisheries?

In my lifetime it is almost gone.

When I was young everyone caught fish and got game hunting.

I really saw the sad failing of everything working in the fishing and hunting business for 50 years.

Today you need to be a very good angler or with a guide to catch anything.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

CCW for starters...

Take pictures and videos of them then call caltip when you get back into service. Usually when you first get connected, you can tell them it's an active poaching event and they will put you in touch with a warden immediately.

Thanks for all the input. Bottom line is that our fish and the habitat that support them is precious. I hear you, Bill, things can be discouraging, but I'm trying to stay positive and do what I can:

Watch the Klamath improve and all the new water open up when they remove the dams;

The State Water Board just voted to increase flows to the Stanislaus, Tuolumne, and Merced;

They'll be taking action soon on the Sac and tributaries. Follow the news, write letters, and attend the public hearings and speak up for rivers.

This is always a scary situation. These days I hunt more than i fish, and with that most participants are armed. Over observe and report, a citizens arrest is within your rights as a law abiding and tax paying American. Is it reccomended by any LEO, no. I have been a part of one and it was a very tense situation. We encountered a group rifle hunting during archery, and made it plainly clear it would not stand. Call the cops and mention theres firearms involved and you can more or less bet on a much faster response.