Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting news regarding sea lions....

Default Interesting news regarding sea lions....

Read this from a few weeks ago. Interesting for sure. Decided to post it when I saw the sea lion post in another steelhead thread . Didn’t want to thread high jack. So starting a new one.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...salmon-n947126
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Overall I’m inclined to think it’s a good thing to have the “flexibility” to capture and euthanize sea lions deemed to be a problem. Kind of hesitant about the details though, as these kinds of bills often have some good things in them ... and a bunch of really bad stuff hidden in the fine print. I do agree with concerns that this will be pretty small potatoes in terms of the overall threats to dwindling fish populations. Of course at this point, every little bit of help the fish can get is needed. Thanks for sharing that, I’ll be very curious to see how this all plays out.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Hmmm, may they will lift the ban on California mountain lions next?

Have Mnt Lions been an issue with Seals?
    Spent my life walking around unarmed and alone in all the right places., and have managed to see only one.
    And humans populations definitely need an alpha predator......

Unless we start raising hatchery Great white's....this will be the only "natural" method of reducing the Seal pop.
    Perhaps we should make them novel cuisine, marketed as free range of course. As opposed to wack and waste.
    And, I agree with Jason, fine print is scary.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

If the sea-lion population has gone from 30,000 in the 1960s to 300,000 today we have a huge problem?

This is a huge problem for many marine organisms like fish, crabs and squid that sea-lions might feed on.

Maybe they could find a private commercial entity that would harvester them and use their meat, etc for fertilizer or fish food or

dog/cat food so tax payers don't have to foot the bill?

Many years ago I can imagine that native Americans (man), Killer Whales and Great White sharks use to prey of sea-lions to keep

them in check. Obviously this is no longer happening....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Drive out to the mouth of the Russian at Jenner and tell me they're not a problem. The only thing that saves the fish in the Russian is that it's usually muddy and the seals can't see them. But when it clears enough for them to see incoming fish, it's a freaking slaughter.

Jeff;
    Have seen the same "activity" in the lagoon at the mouth of Redwood Creek in Orick. In the Smith, we've seen
    them as far up as Chub Rock. Hardly "marine" mammals at that point. Deterrent measures are needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    Jeff;
    Have seen the same "activity" in the lagoon at the mouth of Redwood Creek in Orick. In the Smith, we've seen
    them as far up as Chub Rock. Hardly "marine" mammals at that point. Deterrent measures are needed!
    Yep, I have too when I lived up there. Funny though, I never saw a sea lion in the Eel. Although, I never really ventured down to the mouth. I've fished as far downstream as Fernbridge but never saw any.

Bill,

In 1960 we had 10 times more fish then we have now, however now we have 10 times more Seals. This balancing act isn't working. How about an open season on Seals during Steel-head and Salmon season. Sitting up in the rocks with a scoped rifle and shooting the hell out of them would be worth a few days in jail....lol

Carl

I’d be down to buy a seal tag... and a Lion tag if that ban ever gets lifted.