Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any Bay Area fly shops??

Default Are there any Bay Area fly shops??

Is Fish First in Albany still in business? Thier last on-line fish report is from May (I'm looking for current Yuba conditions) and their website leads with the predicted trout fishing conditions of last summer. With the California Fly Shop rolling up the carpet are there any fly shop left in the Bay Area? Are Kienes and FF Specialties the closest "real" full service fly shops left in the region? If not, where is the closest shop to Petaluma? Thanks.

George Revel left Leland’s and opened up Lost Coast Outfitters in SF. 540 Jackson street.

Yes, Fish First is still in Albany and going strong. Just bought a reel from Leo on Sunday! I am not sure what is happening with their Fishing Report. It used to be one of the best, but I think Mac lost interest in updating it? Also in Napa, is Sweeney's not still going?

I have been to the shop in Albany twice this year. It is a pretty good shop. Small space but they have a lot packed in there. I usually find something I need while my wife works the Solano Avenue shops. Zach’s pizza is not far up the street also.

What about Creative Sports in Pleasant Hill? Are they still open? I have not been in there in over a year - mostly because they have such a limited inventory. They were always willing to "order something for you" but I know how to drive the internet just as well as the next guy and that's not the reason why I go to a brick-and-mortar fly shop.

I'll pile on with the suggestions for Fish First! in Albany. Good inventory and really nice and helpful service. It's my pick for the the best fly shop in the bay area.

I've had my ups and downs with Lost Coast Outfitters in SF. I've had times with great service and advise and other times where I was completely ignored or treated as if I was annoying nuisance for trying to buy something. Probably 30% good, 70% not so much. I've been in the new LCO location a few times but always had the bad luck to be there at the same time when some blowhard was in the shop dominating the environment. Just a look of acknowledgement and a "I'll be right with you" would go a long way to improving the customer service experience there.
    Last edited by loose_shoes; 12-13-2018 at 01:04 PM.
    “Behind mountains, more mountains.” - Haitian proverb

Creative sports is still around and has moved to an even smaller shop. Limited supplies but as you said Jaime can get anything I need as a long as you're not in a hurry. I still prefer to shop local when I can

New address for creative sports is: 1712 Linda Dr, Pleasant Hill

Quote Originally Posted by loose_shoes View Post
    What about Creative Sports in Pleasant Hill? Are they still open? I have not been in there in over a year - mostly because they have such a limited inventory. They were always willing to "order something for you" but I know how to drive the internet just as well as the next guy and that's not the reason why I go to a brick-and-mortar fly shop.

I'll pile on with the suggestions for Fish First! in Albany. Good inventory and really nice and helpful service. It's my pick for the the best fly shop in the bay area.

I've had my ups and downs with Lost Coast Outfitters in SF. I've had times with great service and advise and other times where I was completely ignored or treated as if I was annoying nuisance for trying to buy something. Probably 30% good, 70% not so much. I've been in the new LCO location a few times but always had the bad luck to be there at the same time when some blowhard was in the shop dominating the environment. Just a look of acknowledgement and a "I'll be right with you" would go a long way to improving the customer service experience there.

10 to 20 years ago there were 60 fly shops in California.

Now I think there is 12?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

If you can get to Sportsman's Warehouse in Rohnert Park when Jeff Is on, you can get fine knowledge and service in the fly section....though the selection is somewhat generic.

The Outdoor Pro in Rohnert Park is also somewhat generic in the fly section, but Scott, like Jeff, makes up for it with experience.

I also like dealing with Leo at Fish First in Albany.......always get the best from a conscientious owner, but man, I hate the drive!
    .....lee s.
    Last edited by lee s.; 12-13-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Sweeney's in Napa is still going strong and has a good selection and great service. Outdoor Pro Shop in Cotati has a good selection as well and very friendly.

I miss McClintic’s on Grand Avenue in Oakland.