Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting news regarding sea lions....

Prop 117 (1990) "California Wildlife Protection Act" was passed after being promoted
    as a conservative act that would acquire habitat for deer, mountain lions, and other
    endangered species. (hard to imagine deer as endangered) Next came "California Proposition 197, also known as the Wildlife: Mountain Lions Act, was on the March 26, 1996 primary election ballot in California as a legislatively referred state statute, where it was defeated. Re 117, the state was supposed to fund 117 in the acquisition of that "habitat" to the tune of $30 million per year.
    Can anyone point to that "acquired habitat?" I sure can't find it. Like the lottery monies to school; into the state
    coffers and never seen again! Should have mentioned that 197 would have removed the mountain lions from its protected
    status.

Well the last El Nino that hit couple years ago I though all of the Sea Lion pups were starving to death. I guess give it some time, the whole food chain is so completely out of wack in the Pacific. Domoic Acid ever increasing problem, Abolone closure due to Purple Sea Urchins eating everything (That's never coming back folks). The Pacific is warming in areas make no mistake. It's a matter of time before something happens that makes the Pinniped population collapse but by then the Pacific Salmon and most Steelhead will probably be gone. Depends what species will occupy the niche and when. Sad sad times.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

For all those that have friends or family living along the Columbia or Willamette Rivers, you know this issue has been closely followed by many over the past two years....... Research and data, from what I understand, goes back 20 years....... The last straw was when sea lions were seen and found literally on redds. It's time folks and it is sad how out of balance the ecosystem has become......