Thread: Pyramid Report 12/12/2018

Default Pyramid Report 12/12/2018

Fished Pyramid again today.

On the water @ 7:20 a.m. and out @ 3:15 p.m.

The day went kinda' like this:

Woke up at 4:00 a.m. and the outside temperature was 46 degrees.
    Wow, what a treat.
    Most mornings in the last few weeks have been in the teens...........this was more like it.

I packed the car, downed the coffee, and "I'm off to the races".
    As I drive over the crest on Pyramid Highway and see the lake, ugh........looks like it's going to be a tough one today.
    The wind was blowing (hard may I add) from the North/North East and the breakers and white caps were visible on the shoreline as far north and south as I could see from the road.
    The sky was mostly clear today with very few clouds.

I suit up, grab the switch with the indy rig and head out into the surf.
    I wade the shoreline without a ladder.
    The water was very cloudy/dirty from all of the wave action (probably all of last night) due to the wind, out past casting range.
    As a matter fact, while standing in thigh deep water, I couldn't see my wading boots !!!!!

I took a few pretty good "hits" from the breakers/swells and thought to myself............."Am I going to have to wear a jock strap and cup when it's windy like this from now on ?" !!!!!!

At the peak of my battle with the surf, I think I may have missed a strike.
    The wind started to ease-up and I finally landed a rat on a Mahalo Nymph around 11:00 a.m. and that was it for me today.

Yep, I went 1 for 2, period, end of story, nuthin' else for me.
    Some of the "regulars" that fish @ Wino left early grumbling about how slow it was for them too.

I did meet and chat with Bob from Sparks (formerly from Susanville) who lurks and sometimes posts here.
    I netted a beautiful 12-15 lb'er for him.
    WAY TO GO BOB !!! That fish was a beauty !!!!

So there you have it, another rookie/amateur Pyramid report.

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 12-12-2018 at 11:04 PM.

I was there as well today. I think we arrived at the same time. I left about 1130 Due to 3 hr drive and newly found hole in waders. Well worth it though. I struck out today but yesterday I was 9 for 10 and the one I lost was a pig . I had the black truck. Be back next week. As for the wind this morning you weren’t kidding I took a good one to the gut carrying ladder out

Ahhhh Jake !!!!

Yep, we did arrive at the same time.

Sorry we missed each other and didn't get to chat.

Maybe catch you next week !!!

I thought I heard the "local guys" saying something about getting lost in Oroville ?????

Bob

BS, I would love to offer you some advice. Take it or leave it for what its worth. Not trying to offend you but feel like you are really limiting yourself out there! Please take notes on wind, weather and try new beaches! Nearly every one of your posts starts the same-wino. Second, if the wind is really cranking and the right direction, its those days that memories are made of. Get rid of the indicator rig unless physically cannot use your stripping rig. Best of luck to you. Just trying to help.

I dig these reports. Went out there myself on the 11th and 12th and got into some very nice fish. Landed all four of the fish I hooked and it was most definitely quality over quantity. The classic popcorn beetle worked for my first time and I had one visual take on a midnight cowboy as I lifted my flies. I had the whole beach to myself which was a nice plus.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Fished Pyramid again today.

On the water @ 7:20 a.m. and out @ 3:15 p.m.

The day went kinda' like this:

Woke up at 4:00 a.m. and the outside temperature was 46 degrees.
    Wow, what a treat.
    Most mornings in the last few weeks have been in the teens...........this was more like it.

I packed the car, downed the coffee, and "I'm off to the races".
    As I drive over the crest on Pyramid Highway and see the lake, ugh........looks like it's going to be a tough one today.
    The wind was blowing (hard may I add) from the North/North East and the breakers and white caps were visible on the shoreline as far north and south as I could see from the road.
    The sky was mostly clear today with very few clouds.

I suit up, grab the switch with the indy rig and head out into the surf.
    I wade the shoreline without a ladder.
    The water was very cloudy/dirty from all of the wave action (probably all of last night) due to the wind, out past casting range.
    As a matter fact, while standing in thigh deep water, I couldn't see my wading boots !!!!!

I took a few pretty good "hits" from the breakers/swells and thought to myself............."Am I going to have to wear a jock strap and cup when it's windy like this from now on ?" !!!!!!

At the peak of my battle with the surf, I think I may have missed a strike.
    The wind started to ease-up and I finally landed a rat on a Mahalo Nymph around 11:00 a.m. and that was it for me today.

Yep, I went 1 for 2, period, end of story, nuthin' else for me.
    Some of the "regulars" that fish @ Wino left early grumbling about how slow it was for them too.

I did meet and chat with Bob from Sparks (formerly from Susanville) who lurks and sometimes posts here.
    I netted a beautiful 12-15 lb'er for him.
    WAY TO GO BOB !!! That fish was a beauty !!!!

So there you have it, another rookie/amateur Pyramid report.

Bob
    Hi Bob, nice to meet you yesterday and thanks again for netting that fish. I found on Craigslist Carson City that the guy who built my chair is still making and selling them if you are interested, it was under "Pyramid folding fishing chair/ladder. You wont be disappointed and you wont have to buy a cup, lol. Good luck out there in the next couple weeks but don't sore lip and educate all those fish while I am gone, thanks again, Bob.

Thanks for posting these great reports!!

I used to haunt the "mid" on windy days with big surf, I wore a dry-top to "duck waves". Often all by myself..
    Now I prefer to tube it....IF the wind is from the east....
    The fish aren't always in close. And, there needs to be some danger in life.
    The silly chair/stand....is for guys who just park in the same spot and wait for fish to come....
    I want mobility. A folding 3 step Werner utility ladder is best for me.
    Often, I fish with binoculars.....I can sit on the cliff and recon the other fishers....I can tell by body language at over two hundred yards, whether the fish are happening. If not, I drive on. Body language is a guides best "indicator".....
    I found personally, the worse the weather, the better the fishing. I used to target those days......Had many days of doubling up with fish, in a sideways blizzard.
    If nothing else, Pyramid is good for learning to cast in a little wind. Which most folks do not practice on purpose....

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 12-18-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF