Thread: Looking for some fishing ideas- I have to drive from truckee to Ventura next week.

Default Looking for some fishing ideas- I have to drive from truckee to Ventura next week.

Hi, going to see some family, and looking for
    Some
    Ideas for fishing.
    Never fished the kings, kaweah or kern. They good this time of year?
    What about bank fishing for stripers at San Luis? Any good bank bassin along the way that is not a secret?
    I’m more interested in a cool experience than size or numbers of fish
    Thanks in advance!

Its been several years since I have fished either Ventura area or Kern River.

Fly fishing in the surf should be good near Ventura. Eric's in Ventura is a great fishing shop (conventional and fly) with locals sitting around talking fishing. Lee Baerman ( echoflyfishing.com ) is a great guide who I went out with several years ago. I think he does private fresh water in addition to surf.

Guy Jeans is the only fly fishing shop in Kernville and guides on the Kern (he also does surf classes in Ventura). kernriverflyfishing.com He posts fishing reports frequently. On sunny/warm days this time of year kern flyfishing is usually tiny flies-- and decent eyes. The shop guys/gals have always helped me out with flies and directions to best areas... the way most shops should be.