Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to Stripers/Rod and Reel Suggestion

You could always get a Galvan reel, family made up in Sonora CA!

Quote Originally Posted by tascaso View Post
    You could always get a Galvan reel, family made up in Sonora CA!
    Was totally eyeballing a grip 8. Great looking reel with great features,and I think the price is good for what you get. I dunno. I'm stumped lol.

Those Eternity rods are sweet. Very light, and very fast! I built a 6wt a while back, but have been very tempted to build an 8wt for silver salmon in Alaska.
    Enjoy,
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

get the orvis, cheaper, and go get lines!

fast sink and an intermediate are the two lines I use 90+% of the time.

LOL cheaper yes,but I'm a glutton for spending money! I have a vision of a reel that matches my rod. I dunno. Yeah Jason B I'm really looking forward to building on this blank. Plan on using it for a lot of different applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    get the orvis, cheaper, and go get lines!

fast sink and an intermediate are the two lines I use 90+% of the time.
    I'm with "Mr. T.".......... The reel is actually used far less than anything else while fishing the Delta for striped bass. THE most important thing is matching the lines with the rod for your particular casting style, period. Many have decades old fly rods (including me) matched with a particular fly line that are just golden together..... so much so, that some will stock up on the fly line since they tend to change every so many years....... Once you have the "golden" combo why change?

$395 will nab you a nice fly reel........ $395 will also nab you a 7" CHIRP/GPS unit capable of using a Navionics or Lake Master SD card for chart work. Now that I think about it, the fly reel may be the least important thing on the long list of items needed to effectively fish the delta for striped bass.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    Once you have the "golden" combo why change?
    I don't have any combo

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    $395 will nab you a nice fly reel........ $395 will also nab you a 7" CHIRP/GPS unit capable of using a Navionics or Lake Master SD card for chart work. Now that I think about it, the fly reel may be the least important thing on the long list of items needed to effectively fish the delta for striped bass.
    So I should just buy some piece of trash fiberglass jobber and an old martin reel and call it good? I guess I see what you're saying,but I stated clearly that I don't mind dropping cash on everything I need,and I plan on using this outfit for multiple species such as steelhead,among others. I'm one of these guys who enjoys using high end gear and I am building this rod so I kind of want the reel to compliment it aesthetically ,you know,so I look cool ,and the photos look snazzy lol.

Quote Originally Posted by avidangler View Post
    I don't have any combo

So I should just buy some piece of trash fiberglass jobber and an old martin reel and call it good? I guess I see what you're saying,but I stated clearly that I don't mind dropping cash on everything I need,and I plan on using this outfit for multiple species such as steelhead,among others. I'm one of these guys who enjoys using high end gear and I am building this rod so I kind of want the reel to compliment it aesthetically ,you know,so I look cool ,and the photos look snazzy lol.
    No, not that at all...... "decades old fly rod" doesn't mean it was "cheap", on the contrary, it was on the higher end at the time. Still, about half of what the current model..... 3rd generation sells at today. However, the rod matches perfectly with a specific ROS sink rate line and there's no reason to change the rod out for a newer model.

Feel free to buy what you enjoy...... who are we to say. The word of caution is that when building a fly rod, you will not know how it will match with lines, if at all. Hopefully, you have access to a built rod with the same blank to try first. Even the current model rods sold off the rack do not necessarily match perfectly to the preferred sink rate lines for striped bass fishing.

As for the photos..... do not forget to place the rod and reel on your shoulder while holding the fish...... ugh. <wink>

If you have the money, the time and the inclination to put together a high end combination, then by all means go for it~ I don't think that anyone, including myself are going to tell you not to do that. Its all about what works for you. I find that for myself, I want to have a couple rods rigged and ready to go when I fish, so it does become an issue of cost- fly fishing gets pricey...
    Last edited by Mr T; 12-21-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    If you have the money, the time and the inclination to put together a high end combination, then by all means go for it~ I don't think that anyone, including myself are going to tell you not to do that. Its all about what works for you. I find that for myself, I want to have a couple rods rigged and ready to go when I fish, so it does become an issue of cost- fly fishing gets pricey...
    Lol yes it is pricey