Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to Stripers/Rod and Reel Suggestion

Default Newbie to Stripers/Rod and Reel Suggestion

Hello all. I am looking into getting into fly casting clousers and deceivers for striped bass in the forebay/delta/local lagoons where I live and wondered what I need to look for in a combo,weight,what to look for in a reel,rod action,and lines. I am thinking one of the Rio sink tip lines. I am clueless as to reels in this size. The rod I plan on building ,myself as I am into that sort of thing,I was just hoping someone on here could give me some insight. Thanks in advance. I may use this rod in the surf ,and for steelhead on the trinity,if that's even possible.

You will want an 8 weight rod as an all around choice. Some people do fish 7 wt, and some use 9 or 10 in the delta if targeting really large fish.

You will ultimately want 4 lines; I would start with a type 6 sinking; a leadcore like a T-10 or T-14, an intermediate or type 3, and a floater. The reel needs to hold the line and about 150 yds or more of 20 lb backing.

If you may be in the surf you want a fully sealed drag. I would check Google for articles rating reels; Piscafun Platte is an excellent value at about $160; or check out this article to see a wide range of reels and prices.

https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/bl...ater-fly-reel/ or see this for a review of best value reels under $200; https://www.skilledangler.com/best-s...for-the-money/

An 8 wt set up like this will cover almost all striper fishing, as well as surf, black bass, and steelheading.

A local fly fishing club can be an excellent resource as well, and often have used equipment sales or bulletin boards.

This board has good information, and Dan Blanton's board has more west coast striper info than any other, at least IMHO.

Excellent info McFish.......

Today people are using #6 to 9 weights for Stripers in California.

East Coast with bigger flies in the salt water is #9/10 lines.

This depends of fly size and fish size in most cases.

Steelhead and Stripers would maybe be a #7 line for a compromise.

Stripers only would probably be a #8 line outfit.

A Striper outfit can be anywhere from $300.00 to over $1,000.00.........this is up to you and your budget.

**I would take any tackle you own with you and go to Kiene's Fly Shop in Sacramento on the weekends and see Andy Guibord.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thank's Bill. I am actually a rod builder so I am looking at a custom build for myself. I am researching so I make an informed decision before I proceed. I will definitely come in the shop one of these days.

After you build the rod, bring it in and let Andy sell you a reel and put a good line on it.

Also look on our classifieds for a good deal on a used reel.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Bill. I was thinking that very thing. I'll be researching and on the lookout for good deals on fly reels ,and I'll for sure come in and see Andy. I could use casting lessons lol. I'm not used to these bigger weight lines and rods.

Most people I know who striper fish use 9wts. A 15lb striper will make an 8wt feel like a 5wt. The line if choice is the colwater custom sink line. You cut the line down to desired grains to get the fly down.

Ross; Not aiming for an argument here, but; Most ff I have talked to catch 100 fish under 10# to every 1 of 15#. I much prefer to feel the fight with the vast majority of my fish. remember, this is a newbie, not a trophy hunter. With 15 lb tippet it is pretty hard to blow up a rod; admittedly my few fish over 15 lb on my 8 come from Baja with far fewer obstructions, but that's what tippet is for. Ease of casting and feeling the fight far outweigh landing the occasional larger fish, IMHO.

Well I think I have it narrowed down. My first order of business was to pick a blank I wanted to build on. I am going to build a single handed Rainshadow Eternity2 ETEF908-4 9' 8 wt,and upline the reel to a 9. As for reels I am torn between the Orvis Hydros SL IV, Piscifun Platte 7/8,or a Nautilus CCF- X2 8/10. I will try and see if I can score some crazy deal on the Nautilus,because I want a reel in blue and the Orvis doesn't have that(I could look past that) and I am skeptical that the Piscifun would hold a candle to these other 2 reels. It seems the Orvis is damn near as good as the Nautilus at half the price. So thank you for your advice here I really am grateful for that. I promise to buy my line at Kiene's fly shop!

Out of these three....get the Orvis and damn the aesthetics...lol!