Thread: Trinity Report

Default Trinity Report

We had a pretty good weekend up on the Trinity this past weekend. After an auspicious start to the weekend, I was planning on bringing the drift boat with me but, about 20 miles in (thankfully only 20 miles in)truck issues made me scrub that plan. So, turned around and went back home, put the boat away and grabbed the other vehicle... finally rolled into Lewiston around 1:30am....

Saturday, we walked and waded around the Sky Ranch area all day swinging intruders and breadcrusts on our switch rods. The breadcrust was the ticket. Adam picked up two adults! Sunday we floated JC Campground to Pigeon. My first fish of the day came on the swing, a minim black and blue intruder and we got another 6 or so nymphing. Good fun day. On Monday, Adam having come all the way up from S.B. stuck around and picked up a couple swinging in the canyon section along with a few more nymphing.

Overall another awesoe weekend on the Trinity. A couple of Bald Eagles visited us too. Always LOVE seeing those magnificent birds! They are just awesome! The fish are in there so get out there and enjoy the best of what Ma Nature has to offer!

Almost time to start visiting The Eel!

Right on! It is nice to get some fish in early December. It helps you sit still during the Holidays, feel good about the whole year and plan a big outing for 2019.

Thanks for the great report BB........

The Trinity is a special river being smaller than many and more intimate.

I think December is probably a top month on this nice river.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Will be back up there Monday & Tuesday, assuming coming storm does not wash the river out, which I am not expecting it to do. Great to hear that the fishing is still good . . . Eel . . . now you're talking . . . another month or so . . .

Good luck. Give a report if you have time. Looks like you will just sneak in before the next storm.

I was also up last weekend. The fishing was incredible (I hooked 12 fish on Saturday) but the boat traffic on certain areas was very high. With some creativity we found solitude and lots of grabby fish. Next trip for me will be early January unless the stars align sooner.
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 12-06-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    I was also up last weekend. The fishing was incredible (I hooked 12 fish on Saturday) but the boat traffic on certain areas was very high. With some creativity we found solitude and lots of grabby fish. Next trip for me will be early January unless the stars align sooner.
    Where were you fishing PV? We had 6-7 boats pass us up down in the J.C. area on Saturday. Fly shop guides always gave a wide berth and communicated... others not so much.. even had one back row 3-4 times into a tail out I WAS working towards.... Sunday we had to contend with 4-5 during our float from JC CG to PP.

Probably my last Trinity Steel trip for the year, skiing in January and come February I plan on seeing The Eel. Often!

We initially planned to put in at Evans and go to Sky. The ramp was packed with 10-15 rigs by about 8:45am, so we fished a different float further upstream and had it completely to ourselves except for one boat that was going long...so they were out of the way quickly.

Sunday I walked and waded for two hours up closer to Lewiston and dredged up two fish before heading for home at 11am.