Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's help Jon B!

I just had my car stolen about 2 months ago with all my work tools and fly gear inside. Easily $6000 worth of stuff. The police found it cleaned out and on fire in a drainage ditch at an orchard. I feel your pain. Hope to see ya on the Yuba some time! Jared

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I just had my car stolen about 2 months ago with all my work tools and fly gear inside. Easily $6000 worth of stuff. The police found it cleaned out and on fire in a drainage ditch at an orchard. I feel your pain. Hope to see ya on the Yuba some time! Jared
    Jared, I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. I don't think many people realize the effect something like this has on the victim, sleepless nights, worrying, emotional stress, and now having to think like a scumbag when leaving your vehicle.

I've been lucky in the last few weeks as Sac Police recovered my truck on the 22nd. All the locks except the driver's side have been damaged including the plastic molding around them, the tailgate is shot. The amount of dirt and debris the thieves tracked in is unbelievable. They cleaned the truck out from head to toe and took meaningless items like a whisk broom? a phone charger? A homemade seine for bugs?

CHP North that did the investigation recovered about 70% of the important stuff. All my rods, reels, and all my flies, at least over a thousand of them! I got enough back to begin guiding again. Many items are gone forever, and yes they can be replaced. I had memento items in the truck like the lure I got my first fish on when I was 5, it was a silver and blue rapala that caught a 5 pound coho just outside of the Lime Saddle Marina at Lake Oroville with dad. It's weird, I'll go to use something and then realize it's gone.

The scumbag is a known car thief in Sacramento, he's been busted numerous times and keeps getting out due to laws passed in the last few years by Californians. Since it is a non violent crime they are let free. This guy is really good, him and his meth head buddies steal 2-3 vehicles a night, clean them out, and park them in a quiet neighborhood. He was in my truck in 5 seconds and driving away in 20 seconds according to the surveillance video at the La Quinta on Madison Ave. - Which I've learned is a real sketchy place.

My best advice is leave nothing in your vehicle. Thieves can get into any locking system known to man, even those industrial pull out trays for the back of your truck. If you don't have home owner's insurance that covers items in your vehicle, get renter's insurance. It's very affordable. Photograph everything. Use a permanent marker on all your stuff, I had my last name on my rod cases and that is how the authorities pieced it all together.

I hope none of you all have to go through anything like this, and I'm overwhelmed by the kindness and support the fly fishing community, friends, and complete strangers have shown over the last month.

Thank you and tight lines - J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

John,

This is where karma and good deeds come back to you. It is not just by pure coincidence that so many of us pitched in to help you in a time of need. As I mentioned, I just appreciate reading all of the Yuba reports you take the time to punch out, as well as North Fork and Truckee too. It is payback for the time and work you put into helping us out as well. Thank yo for this.

Bob