Thread: Norcal Fishing

Default Norcal Fishing

Just a few updates from some recent trips thought I would share. Hope all had a good Thanksgiving.

Fished the lower Sac with my oldest son with AC Fly Fishing and the one and only Jay Cochran. (Jaydactor). What a great float and awesome guy. Really knowledgeable NorCal guide who has tons of experience on a lot of NorCal waters. Lower Sac flows are low at 4500 CFS and fish are keying on bugs again after the egg drop earlier. Mainly small baetis and caddis. Some really big fish in the system. Great time of year to be on this river.

Been tossing feathers on the Truckee and have gotten into some decent rainbows. Was a tough pattern of sunny days and high pressure for most of November though, but this storm has really shaken it up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0732.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	14494

Name:	IMG_0653.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	14495

So nice to see the rain/snow and winter weather in the near term forecast. Water temps are cold (low 40's) and fish have moved into some slower type water and end of runs.

East Walker is low. Really needs to get around 75 CFS to make it worthwhile. Reservoir is low and probably good to leave alone until Feb/march when flows get bumped up again.

Think I'm hitting the runs tomorrow with kiddos. Gotta love that early season Sierra cement.
    Last edited by cdevine; 11-23-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Same to you Chris...the activity level definitely needs to jump due to the overindulgence
    that always occurs this time of year.

Looks like you timed it right before the rain on the lower Sac. Nice thick fish.
    I was up in Redding yesterday visiting my brother and it was dumping.

I had heard the Truckee was fishing difficult...some rain will warm it up a bit too.
    Need to hit it before a big snow storm. Cloud cover will certainly help.

Sharpen those edges for the concrete.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Just a few updates from some recent trips thought I would share. Hope all had a good Thanksgiving.

Fished the lower Sac with my oldest son with AC Fly Fishing and the one and only Jay Cochran. (Jaydactor). What a great float and awesome guy. Really knowledgeable NorCal guide who has tons of experience on a lot of NorCal waters. Lower Sac flows are low at 4500 CFS and fish are keying on bugs again after the egg drop earlier. Mainly small baetis and caddis. Some really big fish in the system. Great time of year to be on this river.

Been tossing feathers on the Truckee and have gotten into some decent rainbows. Was a tough pattern of sunny days and high pressure for most of November though, but this storm has really shaken it up.

Name:	IMG_0732.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	14494

Name:	IMG_0653.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	14495

So nice to see the rain/snow and winter weather in the near term forecast. Water temps are cold (low 40's) and fish have moved into some slower type water and end of runs.

East Walker is low. Really needs to get around 75 CFS to make it worthwhile. Reservoir is low and probably good to leave alone until Feb/march when flows get bumped up again.

Think I'm hitting the runs tomorrow with kiddos. Gotta love that early season Sierra cement.
    Hey Chris, Jason's last name is Cockrum, and is a 4 digit guide like myself from way back. You don't see many 4 digit guides much these days. The smaller the number, the longer one has been guiding. I've had some great days on the river with him. Glad you had some great trips too! Take care! -J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

In the past decades I would have to stop people who had lots of money and very little time from buying more tackle.

I told them to go out at the prime time of the year for trout fisheries with recommended guides.

That is a better for me and you.

If you go with a good guide / instructor you will improve your success rates and then I will have you for life.

People drop out of fly fishing because they make too many mistakes.

They go the wrong time of year.

The go to the wrong destination.

They don't have the time to go.

They don't have anyone to mentor them.

Then they go back to golf or on to some other activity.

Captain Andy Guibord has mentored many people over his 30 years at Kiene's.

Just stopping by on the weekend when he there is worth the effort.

He can give you advise on fly fishing that can change your life.

https://andyguibord.wordpress.com/guiding-instruction/

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Troutstalker55B View Post
    Hey Chris, Jason's last name is Cockrum, and is a 4 digit guide like myself from way back. You don't see many 4 digit guides much these days. The smaller the number, the longer one has been guiding. I've had some great days on the river with him. Glad you had some great trips too! Take care! -J.

Thanks J! Thx for correction on spelling. Total class act like yourself. Yeah you "old" dudes hahahha have so much great history. I was talking his ear off. Probably driving him crazy. I think you turned me onto his great jaydactors so thanks.

I decided to let the kiddos board on this sierra slush.... I need a little softer stuff. Got really warm up here.
    Nice start to the year though and some weather due in for awhile now. I was over near Kirkwood on Friday and they had more snow that way. That higher elevation really helps.

I know those Steelhead guys are chomping now with this rain. Should get a nice push on those coastal rivers. Yeah we hit the lower sac right. Be real curious how the fires and ash run off will impact some of our lakes/waters. Time will tell.
    Erico- That variable weather will most def help on T. Especially the clouds and a little color.

Look forward to seeing you at that shows soon. Take care J.
    Last edited by cdevine; 11-24-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Heading up to the Trinity to drift Monday & Tuesday. Hoping for the best. I guess a bit of the Carr fire slopped over the pass? I will report on the river after we're back. Tuesday looks like another wet one up there.

Good luck. I was up to the Trinity with my son in October The fire had come down a canyon towards the river and all the water below was muddy. With all the rain it may be clear by the time you get their.

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    Heading up to the Trinity to drift Monday & Tuesday. Hoping for the best. I guess a bit of the Carr fire slopped over the pass? I will report on the river after we're back. Tuesday looks like another wet one up there.
    Would welcome your report. I’m 50/50 on going up next weekend.

Little update.

Wow. Winter looks to have come in with a bang. Was out on the Truckee last couple of days and I'm happy to say they are still in there.... Been keeping it pretty much winter stuff. Small midges, baetis, worms, and eggs. Typical stuff for this time of year. Love all those Pyramid peeps because the Big T is very quiet right now. Didn't see a soul. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0805.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	14505

Going to hit some runs tomorrow over at Kirkwood. Some cold smoke pow.... A tad nippy out.
    Last edited by cdevine; 12-01-2018 at 06:10 PM.