Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Yuba river

Default Lower Yuba river

Fished upstream of the bridge. Beautiful, perfect weekend but the trout apparently are taking a long holiday. A few smallish fish on #18-20 pt variants and red wire nymphs, but pretty far and few between. Unfortunately, the record low salmon run means record low nutrients and probably doesn't bode well for the 2019 fishery. Fingers crossed for better salmon returns next summer/fall. Warden hanging out, which is good. Remember your new license on Tuesday.

Strange, if you believe the hype on social media, the fishing has supposedly been off the chain. Not sure what to believe but I might find out on Tuesday unless we go to the Truckee.

I had probably my best day ever on the Yuba about ten days ago. I'm going to hit it as often as I can while the flows cooperate.

Where you downstream? The Y fish seem to be groupies. Upstream of bridge was bleh.

I haven't fished it recently but from folks I've talked to the fishery is on the rise from the tough drough/high water years we've had. I think you can say that for almost all of our fisheries. I know the Truckee, East Walker, Upper Sac, and a few others I like to fish have been as good for me as ever. Need another good water year and its going to be great in many places.
    As for the Yuba probably just a tough day. That is why they call it fishing right? hahah. I would give it another go. I bet you have more success.

Don't forget to get your new licenses! They are a gorgeous orange this year.

Not to highjack this thread, but I just double checked my new 2019 license, and it's a light blue color not orange. Does CDF&W issue different color licenses for the same year?

Quote Originally Posted by GLC View Post
    Not to highjack this thread, but I just double checked my new 2019 license, and it's a light blue color not orange. Does CDF&W issue different color licenses for the same year?
    Hey GLC,
    Mine is a greenish color. The same color as last year's. I don't have any idea what the deal is with that?????? That means that if a warden checks your license he/she will have to look for the valid dates.
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLilly View Post
    Fished upstream of the bridge. Beautiful, perfect weekend but the trout apparently are taking a long holiday. A few smallish fish on #18-20 pt variants and red wire nymphs, but pretty far and few between. Unfortunately, the record low salmon run means record low nutrients and probably doesn't bode well for the 2019 fishery. Fingers crossed for better salmon returns next summer/fall. Warden hanging out, which is good. Remember your new license on Tuesday.

Went three for three Christmas Day

Fishing was nice. Swung up fish, bobbered up fish, man that river has changed from four years ago
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!

Could not post photo. Can be found on my instagram page speyfishingcowboy
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........