Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Main Stem & SF Eel, Van Duzen

Default Main Stem & SF Eel, Van Duzen

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

With the first good rain of the season currently coming down, my brain is in full steelhead mode. I am planning a trip 12/2-12/9 to check out the SF & Main stem of the Eel and the Van Duzen for the first time. Was wondering if anyone had information on Drift boat put-ins & take-outs and locations to camp on these waters. Also if there are any hazards or things to beware of during these floats. We will be primarily swinging flies! I am looking forward to adventuring the famed Eel river watershed, and I greatly appreciate any information on this area.

Tight Lines!

I don't have any first hand information to offer you but take a look at the Humboldt Tuna Club discussion board. They have a section devoted to inland waters (http://humboldttuna.com/smf/index.php?board=35.0). You'll run across some intel in some of the posts that may help you get started.

Main Stem looks blown out right now 11,000CFS...the south fork might come into shape this weekend (I like to fish it below 1800CFS at the Miranda gauge) but with more wet weather coming next week it will probably be blown out too by Tuesday or Wednesday next week. I would go to the Trinity or Klamath but that's just my opinion. Good Luck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1825.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	14504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1824.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	14503

Awesome thanks for the information I greatly appreciate it . Do you float the south fork petundra? looks like it might be in those levels sun-wed. Thinking about checking out the SF & Main stem for a few days and see how it goes and then head to the trinity the last few days if the eel blows out. I love the trinity and have fished it a few times this season. I always enjoy the adventure of fishing in new locations! After spending some time looking at the main stem on google earth it seems that you can launch from the large gravel bars at many different areas. if anyone has floated at around the 3-4k cfs how many miles are we looking to cover to fish a full day swing fishing, if anyone has any info on put-ins or take-outs for the eel I would really appreciate it!

Tight Lines Everyone! Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1823.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	14502  
    Last edited by Troutdoorsman; 11-30-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Default Eel, VD and SF

Quote Originally Posted by Troutdoorsman View Post
    Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving! With the first good rain of the season currently coming down, my brain is in full steelhead mode. I am planning a trip 12/2-12/9 to check out the SF & Main stem of the Eel and the Van Duzen for the first time. Was wondering if anyone had information on Drift boat put-ins & take-outs and locations to camp on these waters. Also if there are any hazards or things to beware of during these floats. We will be primarily swinging flies! I am looking forward to adventuring the famed Eel river watershed, and I greatly appreciate any information on this area.

Tight Lines!
    PM Sent, Call if you wish

Probably a little early for any good numbers of steelhead to be in the Eel system. But I'm sure there are some around. Probably lots more salmon than steelhead as the salmon were stacked up at the mouth waiting for rain. Flows should be fine midweek on all rivers. As for floating the main Eel, I would concentrate on the lower river. Meaning, Stafford, Scotia, Fortuna areas. For reference, in February, we usually float from Holmes down to Stafford. That's about 6-7 river miles, I think. That's an all day float. Lots of water to get out and fish. With lower flows, there's way more water to fish.

I really don't fish the SF anymore. For me personally, I've just found that the fish aren't real grabby when it comes to swung flies. If you do go there, I would be throwing egg patterns under an indicator. That's what the majority of the guides do with their clients. Beautuiful river though.

Good luck and please post a report upon your return.

~Jeff

I think February is the top month for coastal winter Steelhead.........on average.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Jeff F, I don't suppose you know anyone that runs shuttles in the area?
    Thanks,
    Earl

Thank you so much to everyone who replied to my post. Unfortunately some things came up and I was unable to make the trip this week. I am still considering going up this coming week or next dependent on water levels and rain. Jon thanks so much for the information and I will definitely give you a call for a shuttle when I'm coming up. Jeff thanks for the info, I am very grateful. I will keep watching the flows and hope to get up there ASAP!! I will give a report when I'm on the road up there and after I have fished. Thanks again everyone!

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Trouter925 View Post
    Jeff F, I don't suppose you know anyone that runs shuttles in the area?
    Thanks,
    Earl
    Earl, no I don't, as I usually fish with a friend and we have two cars. But I'm sure Jon who posted on this thread does. You might wanna PM him.