Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belize Fishing Information?

Default Belize Fishing Information?

So I will be taking a trip to Belize this summer for two weeks in the latter portion of June. This is not a fishing trip unfortunately, rather a school research project, but it sounds like there will be some extra time for personal activities. I have never been to Belize before and though I know it is a Bonefish and Tarpon mecca, I probably wont be able to take advantage of those fisheries in the limited time. My question is what are the legalities of fishing there "self guided"? Licenses and permits? How about logistics of fishing Creeks and streams? Beaches?

Please forgive the noob questions? I am open to criticism if I am chasing a fantasy. I just figured that this would be a good place to start looking for information on the subject. Thanks for the help!

You will have a great time there......

Food, people, snorkeling, fishing, birds, etc.

Where will you be staying?

I fished most all of Belize for 20 years.

I think any fly rod from a #6 to a softer #9 would be good for wading.

You need a floating line and some 9'0X leaders and tippet.

Have some Bonefish flies and small Clousers.

Have good hat, sunscreen and good Polarized sunglasses.

A kayak or stand up paddle board would get you to some quieter spots.

Be sure to have a good mask and snorkel.

Andy at Kiene's Fly Shop is an expert on that fishing.

Here is my article on Bonefishing techniques.

http://www.billkiene.com/fishing/fly...-for-bonefish/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Spent last Thanksgiving in Belize - you will love it, for much more than fishing. Beaches, food, Mayan ruins, the people...

Self guided might be tough. If you have beach access, though, some of the most fun my son and I had were fishing the beaches at sunrise with light gear. A 6 weight and clousers, or a light spinning rod and kastmasters, and you will have all the action with 10-12” skipjack and jack crevalle that you can handle. Fight WAY beyond their size, and will attack the fly in small groups all the way to your rod tip. There is also the possibility of bigger fish, and possibly bones, barracuda, needlefish, and others. Even had 2 tarpon cruise by one morning at the edge of casting range, would have been a challenge on the light spin rod...

Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice. Bill, I will be staying for a few days at the following locations: Tropical Education Center near La Democracia, Toucan Ridge Ecology and Education Society Field Station, Las Cuevas Field Station and lastly the Bocawina Resort. It doesn't look like I will be very close to the ocean at any of our locations but might be able to go while we're at Bocawina.

Chubb, you've described what I had in mind for fishing. Light tackle and simple!

You won’t be too far, as the crow flies anyway, from where we stayed in Hopkins. That said, transportation is a bit slower down there - it is definitely a third world country, and the roads reflect that. But if you can make it to the water, that’s the area that was so loaded with the little jacks. If you can access a canoe near one of the rivers at tidewater, there are plenty of snook and smaller tarpon.

If that looks like a possibility, pm me. I have plenty of snook / tarpon baits and lures left over that you’re welcome to borrow.

Thanks for the offer Chubb. I am not sure yet if access to a canoe or paddleboard will be available just yet but it sure would be sweet if it is a possibility. What sort of line should I be looking to get for that area? I know bill said a floater but there's quite a few different options for tropical saltwater lines from Rio. I was just thinking the General Purpose saltwater line if anything.

Sometimes you can get a local with a boat to take you out to some flats for bonefish and permit for a small fee.

This is how many Third World guides get started.

50 years ago guys told me that they hired locals with skiffs in Baja for $20/day.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Do you have any recommendations on how to line something like that up, Bill?

After you get there go to where the boats are and ask if anyone can take you out fishing?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Crazy. I didn't think it was really that simple.