Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satellite GPS - use one?

Default Satellite GPS - use one?

For example Spot ?

Considering getting one given I do some solo trips. Never really remote places but wouldn’t take much to turn an ankle when on my own and get into bother.

I see cabelas has the Spot on sale..any experiences and thoughts on them?

Thanks
    Steve

Hi Steve-

It sounds like you're talking about a PLB (personal Locator Beacon), right? I haven't ever used one, but I know that they can be pretty pricey and many (if not all) require a yearly subscription for their service, which is usually well over $100. There have been many threads and discussions about PLBs on this site, which I also frequent: http://www.highsierratopix.com/
    Perhaps you can find some more detailed information there.

Best,

--F.G. Dave
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Hi Dave
    Thanks for the sharing.
    I just spent 20 min going deep into a thread on the forum you shared - had no idea they are so contentious among the backpackers.
    Very interesting
    Best
    Steve

The federal agencies I work with have switched over to the Garmin InReach. It's a bit more expensive than the Spot devices buy the extra features are worth it. Having two way communication is worth it alone. We feel comfortable enough with these to not even carry satellite phones anymore. The InReach also covers more of the world if you do any travel. SPOT requires a $150 annual subscription, while the InReach is $25 per year and then $20 a month which is nice if you only do a couple trips per year.

InReach is the way to go IMO. I have one and as stated above the two way communication ability is so awesome. Remember that you have one of these kinds of devices for an emergency. KNOWING that you can tell someone exactly what your emergency is ....well priceless. And you know exactly what emergency response is doing. Plus it provides tremendous peace of mind for those at home.

I use mine every day I am out fishing. There is no cell service where I usually take my boat and its nice for my wife to be able to track my progress throughout the day and she knows when she gets the trip has ended message that we are back safely at the marina.

Besides its a dang fun toy too!

And for the record I also have an PLB on the boat. In a real emergency I am hitting that one first then use the InReach to get communications going.

Thanks all , sounds like InReach is way to go.

I've used the Spot for several years for trips on rivers where even a badly twisted ankle would be a big deal and there's no cell service. I got it for a solo trip, but take it along now for most trips.

You can send a few folks pre-set messages with GPS location (start trip, end trip, for example). You can send someone you trust a message that you need help and include your GPS location. And of course you can get free professional rescue if you really need it.

Luckily, I've never needed to use the emergency features. But the rest works OK. Keep in mind that the GPS on these devices is rarely as pin-point accurate as you'd like. (There are other devices that are better at this, fwiw -- like the Bad Elf line of GPS pucks.)

The annual subscription is expensive, but I ended up feeling it was worth it.

I've got an InReach Mini and it is a nice lightweight portable unit. It does help to attach the Mini to the Garmin app on your cell phone with blue tooth. It works great with the app and there are different levels of service depending on how much you plan to message and how much you want to spend. The basic service is worth it. It would be a PITA to use the InReach Mini to send messages stand alone but would be serviceable in an emergency. I haven't had to use the emergency features but have to assume that it would work.

The InReach GPS isn't bad and the same Garmin app allows you to track your travels. That said, I prefer to use the Gaia app and the GPS on my phone. Download maps before you go, do it where you have a fast WiFi before you go.

I also have an InReach Mini. Had an InReach originally, but must have been a defective unit so I returned it. Mini works well, picks up satellites quickly and communication works well. Ditto for Gaia app on the phone. Carry a small usb charger for the phone. InReach battery lasts a long time between charges.

Yes it's a little pricey. Yes you need a service. Is your safety worth it?

Thanks for the info guys. I'm a solo guy a lot in the back country and have been "fortunate" not to have had an incident. But I know that odds are likely that some day something will arise. Shit happens right? I'm going to look into this as well. My wife and kids will appreciate.