Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trinity River Steehead 1st time!

Default Trinity River Steehead 1st time!

I'm going to the beautiful Trinity River Nov 10-11, to try my luck at flyfishing for Steelhead.....this will be my 1st time and am really in need of some pointers,tips or anything else you may want to share about fishing this river. I fished for Steelies in Alaska but this will be an oppurtunity of a lifetime for me at this river, so I'm very excited. I won't be using a spey rod just my 5 wt. nymphing or streamers..... I know..I know.... 5wt. is too light, but, that's all I have at the moment...... I guess what is more revelent is fly patterns. I hear that black and purple colors work well??

I have an inflatable 11ft Seahawk boat so that may be helpful(hopefully), I know of Rush Creek boat access which I'll give that area a try, but that's about all..... I imagine drift fishing would be a plus vs. wading, I just don't know what areas would be productive or worth my wild.

Thanks, I appreciate any info if you'd like to share or you can PM me. Thanks again......

UPDATE: A friend will be lending me his 7wt. 10'....so looks like I'm styling! Hopefully!!
    Last edited by yankeefanbob; 11-03-2018 at 09:10 PM.

I would say that November would be my favorite month.

I would fish from Junction City down stream.

I would swing a barbless #6 dark classic winged pattern early and late in the day or all day if it is overcast.

Use a 9' 1x leader for swinging .

Mid-day I would do your indicator nymphing.

Be sure to have a Steelhead card.

Stop by Kiene's on a weekend to get a StreamTime map of the river plus some tips and flies from Andy Guibord.

If you can watch the movie, Rivers of a Lost Coast, you will see me in some old Super 8 footage taken by Joe Shirshac on the

Trinity River. I am wearing a camo hooded sweatshirt and it is early November 1982 after a good rain.

__________________________________________________ _

A single hand Spey line would be perfect on the brushy upper/middle Trinity River.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9qowzLwIi8

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Great info Bill....I appreciate the knowledge!

when you get up there, check in with the folks at the Trinity Fly Shop in Lewiston.

Yup, I definetly will!!

5wt is a bit undergunned in my opinion. If you have a 10’ 6wt it can pull double duty swinging and nymphing.

Otherwise a 9’ 6wt for nymphs and an 11’ 5 or 6wt switch for swinging. For flies, classic winged swingers and skaters...nymphing, rubber legs/golden stones/copper johns

I like using a boat to get between juicy runs then getting out to fish it thoroughly. Reputable runs should routinely yield a fish or two if covered thoroughly

I agree with PV. 5 wt isn't going to be enough stick for steelies. 9'6" 6 wt would be the smallest I would go. For nymphing I like my 10' 7wt. My swing rod for steelies on the river above Pigeon Point is my 11'6" 6wt switch rod. Good luck and enjoy!

Thank you guys....keep 'em coming, I'm learning here!

Another one on the rod weight. You might get away with a 5 weight up in the Lewiston area going after the half pounders. Down lower, around Junction City, the rod is way too small for most of the fish you will find in that area. You might be going home with 2 rods that are 4.5' depending on the line weight you will have the rod rigged with? As well, there are some nice drifts, but depending on the flows, which I did not look at right now, it can be challenging rowing.

There are many good put-ins around Junction City, and you have good take outs at Pigeon Point and Baghdad. You can put together all kind of floats depending on how much you want to get out of the boat.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeefanbob View Post
    Thank you guys....keep 'em coming, I'm learning here!
    I forgot to mention. If you need shuttle service call Bill and Carol at Gold Coast Shuttles. 530-623-1905. They can move you vehicle for you if you want drift some. Flows are way down, last I checked Lewi was only kicking out 300cfs. That makes that river pretty bony, especially up top!