Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tangled and twisted leader material

Default Tangled and twisted leader material

This qualifies as a rant, but I'm looking for suggestions. I've been trout fishing for a long time and no matter what I do my leader material gets tangled. I've tried any number of leader material holders and at some point my leader material turned into a tangled mess. Are any of you using anything that keeps your leader material secure and knotless? I notice that Amazon has a foam board material (see link below). Anyone tried it? Suggestions from anyone with a solution!

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSFX-Fishin...70_&dpSrc=srch

Question Tangled Leaders

Saw this after responding on Blanton's BB. Here's my response there:

The foam board you mention appears to be for carrying separate, tapered leaders with a fly or flies already knotted on. So, I'm assuming that's what you're asking about. When I fished trout (many years ago) I used to prepare tapered leaders with flies knotted in and carried them on a circular piece a heavy paper that had a 1/4" slit around the edge, every inch. I could then slip a fly under the wraps to keep the leader from unwinding and becoming tangled. I kept the wheels/leaders in a zip-lock bag.

I would add that the diameter of the circular paper should be about 4". Hope this explanation isn't confusing.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

No Darian, I am talking about leader and tippet material. I'm not talking about snelled flies or flies to leaders being stored. I wear my leader holder outside my vest for easy access. But after walking through bushes or just changing tippet material my leaders are always tangled. Also the elastic binding on the leader spools stretches. I can't believe I'm the only fisherman with this problem. By the way I'm 72 and have been fly fishing for 60 years. Frankly, when I first started I only carried one spool of extra line and I don't recall it being such an issue. Now I carry 4 or 5 spools of difference size lines on my holder and a couple of extra spools inside my vest.

I have had fine luck with the stock tippet spools and elastic spool tenders from all the main brands.

I carry them on a Fishpond Headgate tippet bar.

http://shop.fishpondusa.com/headgate-tippet-holder.html

You can buy new higher quality elastic spool tenders - they may help. Widely available online/amazon.

I haven’t seen a box with holes designed specifically for tippet sized spools but one might exist.

i put my tippet spools in one of the larger outside pockets in my vest. The spools are protected and never tangle.

Thanks for your comments. After all is said and done two things are clear to me. I will starting buying new elastic spool tenders and will start keeping my leader material in my vest. That defeats my desire to have easy access to my leader material, but what good is easy access access if I am spending my time untangling spools of twisted line.

How about a Leader Wallet???? I keep a wallet from RIO that has plastic sleeves in it. I keep all of my leaders in that and throw the wallet in my sling/pack/vest pocket. If I change leaders while fishing. I cut off the fly and disconnect from fly line, wrap it around my hand, starting with the tippet end. When I get to the butt end I wrap that around the line a few times then put it in it's respective sleeve. Then attach another leader....

I have a leader wallet. I'm talking about the spools of leader/tippet material I hang off my vest with a leader holder. My leaders are fine it's the tippet material that tangles.

I go to a craft store and buy Velcro in a spool and you can custom cut it to fit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by eastbayed View Post
    I have a leader wallet. I'm talking about the spools of leader/tippet material I hang off my vest with a leader holder. My leaders are fine it's the tippet material that tangles.
    I got it now. I think there is an aftermarket elastic band you can purchase to replace the elastic bands that the tippet spools come with.. If i remember correctly they were even offered in different colors so you knew which wt tippet each spool was by the color... I think I saw them at the Fly Shop in Redding. Kiene's might have the same thing! I can't imagine they would really be all that hard to make though. Go to a craft store and by a spool of appropriate width elastic band and a good needle, some thread and make your own.... I think the bottom line is, as long as those bands are still tight and you don't have too much tippet material hanging out and you should be fine with them outside your vest. I try to keep no more than an inch of tippet material free of spool and I rarely carry more than three levels of tippet.
    Last edited by BumpBailey; 10-23-2018 at 07:21 AM.