Thread: La Paz Trip Report

Default La Paz Trip Report

Just returned from a week fishing in the La Ventana, Bahia De Los Muertos and Isla Cerralvo area. Fishing and catching was really good compared to our earlier (June) trip. Bait (Sardinas) were available to keep fish in the area and that made all the difference. We caught YellowFin Tuna, Skipjack, Yellowtail Snapper, Grouper, Roosters, Green Jacks, Jack Crevalle, Sierra Mackeral and Dorado, some on the fly, others while drifting/trolling Skippies, flies or lures. One person in our group caught a Wahoo.

Caught my PB Rooster (set. 70 pounds) While drifting/trolling a 5 pound Skippie. Pic to follow as soon as I can figure out how to post it. This fish and I were on each other for around 45 minutes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1110.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	14426

This fish was released unharmed....

On the first day, it was hot/humid but for the rest of the week the air temps dropped into the 80's with humidity. We lost a day to winds and a half day to winds/scattered showers (last day).

Good to see that quality fish/fishing have returned to Baja Sur (Sea of Cortez).
    Last edited by Darian; 10-16-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Nice Rooster.......

How big were the YF tuna?

Baja is still one of the best values in fishing, especially if you live on the West Coast.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Some of the yellow fins that were caught in the previous weeks ranged from 25lb up to 80lbs. So lost yellow fin at the boat that probably tip the scale over 100lbs. My boat partner got one about 23lbs. I lost two decent yellow fins. One right at the prop on the engine. I think he had the wig hair tangled in his teeth and he let go. It looked to be around 50lb (in the water),probably around 25-30lbs on a 10wt. We saw some jumping that would easily go 50lbs.
    Baja has been on fires all this year and last year. With tons of bait around I don't see why more people aren't going. They quit the
    Baja because there was no bait and now there's plenty. The whole island of Cerralvo is covered, some around the light house, some in La Ventana/El Sargento and Boca del Alamo. Next year this bait will be 3 1/2' to 5". I'm sure the yellow fin will stay around all year, just like last year, they never left.
    I have a few weeks in May that are still open and ready to be filled. This is my last year doing the Baja but I have a replacement who is going to take over the business in 2020. He knows the area, captains and the routine. I'm still going to be involved but only as the sales person.
    Jay
    Gotta figure out how to post photo's