Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pram, pontoon, or ??

Default Pram, pontoon, or ??

I've been fishing from a Supercat (float tube/mini pontoon with oars) for years. I'm considering adding something bigger, for a couple of reasons: gets me out of the water in the colder months, and my knees are starting to complain about all the kicking.

I have a truck with a 6.5' bed and a shell. The shell doesn't currently have a rack but I could add one. I'd really prefer not to tow a boat trailer.

I'd be interested in hearing about other members' experiences with small boats, especially the logistics of loading/unloading by yourself.

A pram not only will get you out of the water, but Above the water, which has clear benefits for spotting fish as well as casting.
    Look for something with a minimum beam of 36" on the deck where you stand to cast, and enough freeboard that you're not scraping your knees with the oars when rowing. There are lots of options in aluminum, glass and even wood. I've had prams in all three materials and liked them all. Wood and glass are quietest but a piece of indoor outdoor carpeting or closed cell foam on the deck makes aluminum workable....and it needs little or no maintenance. A small electric motor or self contained outboard is helpful on occasion but not really necessary. Get a light bow roller for your main anchor and cam cleats for stern anchors. As to car topping, it can be tough if you have an SUV with a pronounced slope to the rear window and the aft rack isn't close to the rear of the vehicle. But an 8 ft to 10 ft pram weighing between 65 and 110 lbs is no problem to single hand load on a pickup shell if your aftmost rack is close to the rear of your shell. Drag it up to the rear of the truck, flip it over, lift it up and put the bow on the aft rack, push it forward and tie it down. Ten minutes once you do it a couple of times. In a pinch you can stuff an 8 footer in the truck bed with the tailgate lowered. Check Craigslist and this forum's Classified for used prams for sale. No reason to buy new. And either wear or keep a PFD close at hand when you're on the water.

I have a River Guide pontoon boat used only once in a lake. This is a stand up or sit with a swivel seat. It has a motor mount also. I have everything in original boxes and bags that it came in. With all directions and manuals. Also comes with launching gear which allows you to move it around and launch without having to use a boat ramp. Also comes with a CataCarryAll. This is an adjustable pontoon carrier that fits on your roof, providing you have roof racks. Will also fit on a truck shell. Also have directions for carrier too. This was whole package was purchased for $1900 in 2006. Than put it in storage. And never used again. It was all bought from OregonFishing.com. If you want to look up specs, it is model rgb4010 Everything is in new condition. Including Carrier.. If this is something that might suit your needs pm me.. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by L Kenney View Post
    A pram not only will get you out of the water, but Above the water, which has clear benefits for spotting fish as well as casting.
    Look for something with a minimum beam of 36" on the deck where you stand to cast, and enough freeboard that you're not scraping your knees with the oars when rowing. There are lots of options in aluminum, glass and even wood. I've had prams in all three materials and liked them all. Wood and glass are quietest but a piece of indoor outdoor carpeting or closed cell foam on the deck makes aluminum workable....and it needs little or no maintenance. A small electric motor or self contained outboard is helpful on occasion but not really necessary. Get a light bow roller for your main anchor and cam cleats for stern anchors. As to car topping, it can be tough if you have an SUV with a pronounced slope to the rear window and the aft rack isn't close to the rear of the vehicle. But an 8 ft to 10 ft pram weighing between 65 and 110 lbs is no problem to single hand load on a pickup shell if your aftmost rack is close to the rear of your shell. Drag it up to the rear of the truck, flip it over, lift it up and put the bow on the aft rack, push it forward and tie it down. Ten minutes once you do it a couple of times. In a pinch you can stuff an 8 footer in the truck bed with the tailgate lowered. Check Craigslist and this forum's Classified for used prams for sale. No reason to buy new. And either wear or keep a PFD close at hand when you're on the water.
    Naturally Larry's information is spot on and almost exactly what I would write, only his is a little better than mine.

Years ago we started in round "Tucker Duck & Rubber Company" float tubes which we thought was fantastic until we all went to prams. Prams are magic.....

Prams show up when you don't need one or don't have the money.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

In small craft I have a 10' pram, a 9' pontoon and a 12' kayak. My favorite of these smaller crafts is the 9' pontoon as it is very stable, (but can not stand on it) only weighs 45lbs and can be packed down pretty small if needed. However, in the winter I prefer my pram as it does not need to be deflated/inflated when going to and from the mountains and standing up is a big benefit. The pram is also very convenient except it weighs about 100lbs so it is a bit harder to carry around and it takes up more space than the pontoon boat when not in use. Both the pram and the pontoon boat are very comfortable. The kayak is okay but, I can not stand in mine and the seating is not as comfortable. The kayak at 60lbs is lighter than the pram and does not need to be inflated/deflated like the pontoon. The kayak is less stable than the other two but I have been in some heavy water in both the kayak and the pontoon with no issues. The pontoon or the kayak is what I use on rivers and the pram and pontoon I use on still water. If I had to get rid of one it would probably be the kayak because having the unattached paddle can be a pain and because I sit down low I find I catch my line on the hatch covers and such. The Kayak is also not as comfortable for me but I have seen some more expensive kayaks that seem to be built better and with more comfortable seating.

Regards, Tim C.

Have you looked into smaller rafts? Here is my set up and im in it a little over $1400. I built the frame using Nrs components and 1 5/8 galvanized fence poles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180915_085356_672.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	14386  

I have a 8' pram for sale if you are interested in getting a wooden pram. I would like to get $350 for it. Thanks, Bill

Thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciate it.

At this point I'm leaning toward an 8' pram, preferably as light as possible for loading/unloading.

I guess I would have to change my style of fishing in some ways. For example, I like a float tube's ability to troll slowly while keeping your hands free. I suppose a trolling motor can help with that. I know trolling motors have multiple speeds, but can they go float-tube slow?

How did your fishing change with a small boat?

You can go pretty slow but due to being higher in the air and little below the water the wind plays a bigger factor in a boat. You will not be able to make the fine adjustments in a boat that you can in a float tube. The boat also has more glide when the motor is turned off. Depending on wind and current when you turn the motor off or stop rowing the boat may turn to the left or the right. It is not bad it is just different and something you learn to compensate for. Also you will not be totally hands free unless you get a motor with foot pedal controls and/or one of the fancy models with a built-in GPS and programmed tracks to follow.

It would be nice if everyone could try out all these difference water craft.

Like V-boats, pontoon boats, canoes, kayak, stand-up paddle boards, rafts, Zodiacs, prams, and Jon boats.

After an 8' or 10' pram I like a wide flat bottom 14' aluminum Jon boat on a trailer with a new 4 stroke tiller outboard and 8 foot oars.

Then I like an aluminum 16' modified-V Jon boat on a trailer with a 4 stroke tiller 60/40 jet outboard, 12v autopilot and big oars.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........