Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pram, pontoon, or ??

Just to follow up...

I picked up an 8' Outback kevlar pram this week. I put it in the water today just to get a feel for the rowing ergonomics. I'm looking forward to fishing with it soon.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Good Mark

That is a very nice tri-hull fiberglass pram that many of us have had and used over the past 40 years.

That hull was first designed by Olympia boats at Columbia Fiberglass Company near Seattle, WA.

Then was copied by TP&L boats in Los Gatos, CA. (Tom, Pat & Larry) I sold those boats.

Then purchased by Brian and named Outback boats.

The famous boat builder Jack Keaton modified and improved that design making it even better called Keaton Prams in 8 ad 10 feet.

The other popular fly fishing pram was the Valco and Western aluminum flat bottom prams.

They came 8, 10, 12 and even 14 foot models. All were the same dimensions, just longer.

The 8 foot for one person, 10 foot for one or two and the 12 foot for guiding on Fall River with up to three people.

These boats were light and stable made of 0.050" aluminum with riveted seams.

Sadly, None of these wonderful stable prams are produced anymore....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill,

I have an 8 foot Metalhead pram for sale...it has Sayer oars, brass oar locks, I have maybe 4-5 anchors in different weights and extra ropes. The pram is jet black and it's the flat bottom model...$1500 and it comes with an 55 pound thrust electric motor, brand new battery. I also have an almost new 2.5 Yamaha 4 stroke motor for $650.00 that works great with this pram.

carlblackledge@aol.com

707-481-9000

Prams are great but I'm big so liked a 10' the most. Gave me room to stretch out and on occasion take a friend. Get a 55lb thrust Electric with a class 27 battery, it'll get you to where you want to go faster. I always kept a drift sock in mine so if I wanted to troll slow I tied it off on a back cleat and went to lowest setting on the electric. The extra 2' will add some weight onto the rig and stability too.

But, to be honest my favorite platform of all time was a 21' ranger with a 4 stroke Yamaha. Cost well over $50,000 but it sure was comfortable. Never tried to get it on the top of my truck though!

I use a Portabote for all the same reasons you mention. Cartops on a Nissan Versa. 12 inch freeboard. Very stable, rows great, or put a 5 hp on it or electric. Almost indestructible. Available in 10 ft to 14 foot lengths. Overall weight similar to a smaller pram, but with 3 seats.