Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Switch rod versus Spey rod choice

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Earle has the 5 wt Clearwater also and he uses T-8 tips.
    Cool. If the T-11 is too much, I'll make you a sweet deal on it Jeff. $100 bucks.

Eric

I have a complete set of T-11 MOW tips. I rarely use them because I like 15 ft DC tips!

I have a complete set of T-11 MOW tips. I rarely use them because I like 15 ft DC tips!
    Agree Jeff! 15’ tips swing so much nicer, and the longer length is more enjoyable to cast. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Agree Jeff! 15’ tips swing so much nicer, and the longer length is more enjoyable to cast. IMO
    X 3! I love those 15’DC tips way more than MOW tips. The type 8 ones really get down, and they are a lot more fun to cast. I just wish they weren’t so damn expensive
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    X 3! I love those 15’DC tips way more than MOW tips. The type 8 ones really get down, and they are a lot more fun to cast. I just wish they weren’t so damn expensive
    JB

Good to know...are those DC tips a Rio Product? Have a link you can provide?

And which type would you recommend for a 5wt, 12 foot spey?

Thanks,
    Eric
    Last edited by EricO; 02-15-2019 at 10:49 AM.

I use 8 wt 15 foot tips on every two handed rod I own except for my 5 wts. They are 109 grains so I cut my old ones down to 12.5 ft for my 5 wts. I would check out 6 wt 15 ft tips for your rod. Talk to Andy and he’ll get you dialed in.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 02-15-2019 at 10:37 PM.

I use 8 wt 15 foot tips on every two handed rod I own except for my 5 was. They are 109 grains so I cut my old ones down to 12.5 ft for my 5 wts. I would check out 6 wt 15 ft tips for your rod. Talk to Andy and he’ll get you dialed in.
    Cool, thanks Jeff.

Anything to make casting easier or more pleasurable, I'm all for it.

I'll chat with Andy next time I pop in there.

Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post

Thanks,
    Eric
    Yes, the Rio replacement tips are what I use. As for what weight, remember that the type of line has as much to do with that as the rod. I use the DC/replacement tips in 6wt and 8wt a lot for steelhead fishing in the winter on heavier lines (and rods). For a 350 Scandi body, I use poly leaders a lot more tbh, though I also use a 5wt DC tip as well. A really sweet, and effective, Shad rig is an intermediate Scandi body head, and a fast sinking trout versileader. It’s pretty much all I use anymore. For half pounders and smaller steelhead I pretty much just get full floating line, with a tapered mono leader.

The only negatives on poly leaders, Versileaders, and DC tips is that they don’t turn over as bulky/heavy a fly as MOW tips will. So there is that limitation, though I personally find it’s one that I’m a lot more willing to live with most of the time... given that I’m going to be doing lots and lots and lots and lots ... and LOTS more casting. My personal tradjectory in struggling to learn Spey casting leads me to advise starting light in terms of tip weight and go up as needed; nothing worse than struggling to try and force heavy tips and flies to turn over.
    Cheers,
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Hi Eric. In a nut shell, what decides wether I use a switch ( shorter rod) or standard spey (longer rod) is a matter of how far I want to cast and still control the line's drift.

Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post

Thanks,
    Eric
    Eric, I use a 6/7 scandi body on my 5wt and it turns over 15’ 9wt 129 grain DC tips. I agree with Jason on price, dinero$$$$