Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Switch rod versus Spey rod choice

Take a look at the g Loomis imx shortspey series, great rods.
    I had the 7 wt Beulah platinum switch. Very light and attractive rod, casted fine with no wow factor. I sold it because it just seemed handicapped by it's short length in comparison to my 11-12 ft switches.

Thanks guys. Excellent advice. I was also going to use with a bobber indo nymphing during big spring runoff. (Single handed Spey casting in addition to 2 handed with streamers ). For me an 11ft should suffice for what I was looking to use and the water type.
    Match up with a rio Atlantic salmon /stealhead line.

Cdevine PM Sent
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

My go to two handed indo rod is a 5116 Sage Z-Axis. Used an Rio salmon steelhead line on it for several years but just started using a Switch Chucker and you can really get that indo rig way out there with two handed Spey casts.

I have an Echo 10’8” switch rod in 5 wt lined with an 8 wt (350 grain) Scandi Body on it and it casts great! Thanks to Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    I have an Echo 10’8” switch rod in 5 wt lined with an 8 wt (350 grain) Scandi Body on it and it casts great! Thanks to Andy.
    We are similar ITW.... After much research i went with a 12' Orvis Clearwater spey, an Orivs SL reel with a 350 grain
    Scandi Body...and thanks to Andy on that as well for his direction with the line and reel. Looks hella sweet.

Got a few MOW tips, T-8 and T-11 and a floater.

Now i just need time to cast it...only been out once and jonesin to cast it more.

Eric

Eric

Those Scandi body heads are very easy to cast, and cast a long ways! I think you’ll love it. I think your T-11 tip would be pretty clunky on a 350grain Head though... obviously just my taste/opinion. The T-8 should be perfect.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I use that line on my Anderson 1255 GFR and 10 ft poly leaders works the best. You’ll be able to cast T-11 but not as effortless as ploy leaders.

Hey Guys,

I've only fished it once when I floated the American several weeks back. The 5wt Orvis has
    a decent amount of backbone. It casts a 5' Int/5' Sink T-8 MOW tip easily. We'll see how it
    casts the T-11, but haven't tried it yet. Got a smokin deal on the Orvis and the reviews were
    solid, so I pulled the trigger...and the entire set up didn't break the bank...completely.

When I was talking to Andy, he said he is casting T-11 with his 4wt switch, so I figured I'd give
    it a go on the 5wt...time and practice will tell.

Eric
    Last edited by EricO; 02-14-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Earle has the 5 wt Clearwater also and he uses T-8 tips.