Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Switch rod versus Spey rod choice

Thanks for the responses...great info and gives me a good idea where to go when
    I begin the process. Lessons for sure.

Ya it seems like the mixing and matching of lines, heads, tips is biggest issue, but
    I'll get out with Andy when it comes time.

Thanks again.
    Eric

Don’t over think it. And Andy will get you casting like a champion. He taught me years ago no one better to teach you

As well I suggest you only need a switch for all the rivers you have mentioned. Besides seems like all Spey rods are migrating to smaller rods just make sure your head is not too long aka fly line. Longer 12 to 14 ft rods are for large wide rivers I used to use a 6126 here it was fine

If you are fishing winter consider a heavier rod to handle sink tips and weighted flies. Not just about the size of the fish I will target. I have a 8110 which handles tops and weight well

Jeff has every rod imaginable that is stiff as a broomstick lol try them out as he offered.

I once had a 5116 and loved it in all these rivers. Wish I never sold it since I have returned to Sacramento
    Last edited by DAVID95670; 12-04-2018 at 06:09 PM.
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!

It's a lot easier learning to spey with a 12'6 o 13 footer that with a switch rod

Can't say that it's really harder to learn on a switch. Being a foot or so shorter makes it more approachable.
    I have taught spey casts on the T for 11 years with a switch, only because it's not quite big enough for a full size Spey stick.
    Many folks have stepped up without a problem....
    So it may be harder, but it hasn't stopped anybody who really wants it........

Jim
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Been fishing and guiding with 6119 TCX and Methods for years, until I recently purchased a 1255 Anderson. I can fish it on the Klamath, Feather, Yuba, Trinity, American and more. It will handle bigger winter fish if needed, but the key is it's fun to fish on all the rivers in the Valley. I fish a 325 scandi body with versileaders, but will cast a 350/375 scandi body with versileaders or a 350 skagit and light mows all depending on what you like. Very rarely do I fish anything heavier than 10ft T8 or 7ips versileader. If a fish wants your fly it will eat it.

Back to the rod, I loved it so much that it has replaced my 6119 rods and is now my go to fishing and guiding rod. The rod sells itself. Extremely easy to cast, fun to cast and is a ball to fight fish on. I've had 14" Yuba trout put a bendo in it and have landed steelhead up to 10lbs on it. Plenty of backbone when needed.

If you are thinking all around rod for Sac Valley and some northern Rivers that's what I would highly recommend. Then down the rod you can look into a fast 6wt or slower 7wt for winter fishing if your thinking Coast or more north like Oregon and Washington.

It's now called the 1255 GFR, great f---ing rod
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Hello there, I hope I may be off help here.
    An interesting question there young man.

Personally over the years I would say anything up to 11' 0" 5/6 - 6/7 - 7/8# I would class as switch rod, a good quality make of rod will handle highish summer rains and high water plus 10' heavy tips with large heavy flies for those bigger migratory Beasties (Scottish word from the north ), the better the stiffness/fastness of the rod the better it is for power, remembering add a 1lb or 2 to a fish in fast water, you don't want to bottom out on your rod if you hook something of size in complex conditions, but switch rods are also perfect for lighter floating lines and size 14 nymphs and that delicate approach, any over head casting with a switch rod will require a lighter line, but do some trials before forking out on lines etc, I do believe you have the perfect choice of equipment and knowledge on here, too heavy a line will eventually injure you if over head casting, so yes try before you buy, a heavier exact grain or slightly higher grain line is perfect for switch/spey casting, remembering the length of tip, fly size and weight, weather and water levels will determine the fine tuning required on that day for your casting.

Ultimately as the season progress , the weather and water shall determine your tool of choice for the day or night if your a night fisher. When stepping up to 11'6 11'9 8/9# upward, these rods I would class these light salmon rods progressing to the 13' 14 15 and 16' ranges.

Over here our rule is have rod for all occasions, always a 10' 8# Grilse rod, defiantly an 8# or 8/9 11'6 (good all round rod) and always the trustee go to either 13' and 14' 9/10s that would stop a train.
    Our Weather can be unpredictable so always be best prepared lol.

Many Thanks Tight lines
    ST

My vote is for 13' 6 or 7...
    When I was first learning, I wanted to make a nice looking, efficient cast. For me, it was easier with a longer rod.

Erico-
    I'm looking for something (switch) for the Truckee, American Half pounders, Lower Sac. I would love to find a Sage Z Axis 11ft 5wt but I probably be more likely to get struck my lightning. I came across an Oregon based company Beulah that makes a few nice switch rods for the Rogue. Anybody have any experience? Price point seems to be right in the "middle" at about $500.

Hey CD,

Yes, I have heard Beulah makes some nice rods. I've seen comments on this board and never
    heard anything negative about them. That Sage is hard to find.

So you'll use a switch for streamers primarily?

My new arrow in my quiver for the Truckee is a 9 foot 6 wt G Loomis IMX Pro. I had a super old
    GL3 that had a broken ferrule...so I used the Xpeditor program with Loomis. They had to jump
    up two models because mine was so old. $495 rod for $100. Major score!!!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Erico-
    I'm looking for something (switch) for the Truckee, American Half pounders, Lower Sac. I would love to find a Sage Z Axis 11ft 5wt but I probably be more likely to get struck my lightning. I came across an Oregon based company Beulah that makes a few nice switch rods for the Rogue. Anybody have any experience? Price point seems to be right in the "middle" at about $500.
    I’m a big fan of the Beulah Platinum series Spey rods. Compared to the Z Axis, my humble preference would be the Platinum. Not to start a pissing match of which is better/worse; but in my hands I like Beulah rods a lot and would not consider them to be a “mid-level” rod at all (other than price)! The 11’7” 5wt Platinum was one of the smoothest casting rods I’ve ever had the pleasure to use. I have only cast their older “classic” series switch rods once or twice and it’s been too long to really say much about my experiences with them but I don’t remember being overly wowed by them. I haven’t cast one of the Platinum switch rods yet, but I would expect them to be very sweet rods given my experiences with the Platinum Spey rods (13’2 7wt, 13’8” 8wt, 11’7” 5wt).
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown