Thread: Opportunity to fish UC property on Yuba

Default Opportunity to fish UC property on Yuba

I wanted to let folks know of changes to the fishing program offered by the UC property on the Yuba river.

This year fly fishing clubs (proof of liability insurance is needed) will be able to access the river each weekend Dec 1 - August 24th.

Reservations are on a first come first serve basis, and can be made by contacting the UC Sierra Foothills Research and Extension center at 530 639 880.

The fee is $500 for two days of fishing. Up to 20 Anglers can fish each day.

A link to a flyer on the program can be found here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ll6...ew?usp=sharing

I'm not in charge of the program, but can try to answer can questions you might have. If you have fished the UC property in the past, you know it can be very good and the fishing pressure is quite limited.

Wow, that could put much more pressure on this stretch of river. I guess it's only inevitable. If I recall correctly, this is about the same program as in the past really, but that it was free and the club was limited to 2 visits per fishing season? Nothing is free forever!

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    Wow, that could put much more pressure on this stretch of river.
    40 rods per weekend?!? No thanks.

Sorry but private fishing on public water is anaethema to me.

When was this fee change implemented? I seem to remember that there was once a nominal charge and I had not realized that this fee had become ridiculous. Have to talk to my club about NOT fishing the UC property anymore.
    -JD

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    When was this fee change implemented? I seem to remember that there was once a nominal charge and I had not realized that this fee had become ridiculous. Have to talk to my club about NOT fishing the UC property anymore.
    Last year.

In other news, the property owner at the Highway 20 bridge/Parks Bar has put up new "No Trespassing" signs and is now calling the sheriff's department when he sees violations. I've been in negotiations with him the last month and we are meeting on the 12th to figure out a way for anglers to be able to cross his property and gain access to the high water mark. It's most likely going to involve a drop box or a yearly pass with a minimal fee, plus a signed waiver. His intentions on enforcing the no trespassing is for miners digging up his land (sediment issues), drug use (He's witnessed people shooting up down there), and other factors. I'd like your opinions on the matter before I meet with him in person. I'm in this for legal access and the fly anglers who are great stewards of the Lower Yuba River. - J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

John,

Sounds like you got it down. A small annual access fee with waiver would be very reasonable in my opinion. I have not been on that side in awhile, is it not possible to access the river via the Caltrans easement under the HWY 20 bridge, and then hoof up, even in the river? I imagine, at some point higher up in the river, there is simply no longer high water access on the bank?

Isn't it a bit of an oxymoron that a company running a gravel pit on the river is worried about some small time miners' diggings? I assume it is their property that is being tresspassed?

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    John,

Sounds like you got it down. A small annual access fee with waiver would be very reasonable in my opinion. I have not been on that side in awhile, is it not possible to access the river via the Caltrans easement under the HWY 20 bridge, and then hoof up, even in the river? I imagine, at some point higher up in the river, there is simply no longer high water access on the bank?

Isn't it a bit of an oxymoron that a company running a gravel pit on the river is worried about some small time miners' diggings? I assume it is their property that is being tresspassed?
    Yubaman,

The area I'm talking about is at the end of Parks Bar road and it is not owned by Parks Bar Quarry. The owner has not mentioned anything about a Cal Trans easement (which I will bring up during our meeting). He also owns land across the river on the south side where multiple guides cross his land to launch their boats. (there's another hornet's nest in the making).

Staying within the high water mark upstream of Liberty rock depends on the flows, if low, an angler could cross and work upstream of the UC Davis property and beyond. What really needs to happen, and probably won't, is that CA DFW needs public access points for anglers. Then factor in the Public Trust Doctrine for navigable rivers. These problems need to be addressed and stamped asap for future generations to enjoy the recreation that the Lower Yuba River provides. - J.
    Last edited by Troutstalker55B; 09-27-2018 at 02:32 PM.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

With the consistent increase of homeless people in California it might become impossible or even dangerous to go to any local fisheries?

Seems like many of my friends who have retired or are close to retirement are thinking of leaving the state or are leaving the state?

You only get one life so think seriously about it.

Over my 50 years in the fishing tackle business I have seen many leave this state, especially right after graduated from college.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........