Thread: Klamath Report (Sep 21-22, 2018)

Default Klamath Report (Sep 21-22, 2018)

Another quick report from the Klamath........

We fished the same areas around Orleans as I did a couple weeks ago. Friday, we got into a few half pounders, nothing really spectacular. Eric did hook what appeared to be an adult fish, but unfortunately it came unbuttoned. There were definitely fish moving through as we saw plenty of jumpers and rollers, but they just weren't grabby like a couple weeks ago. It was quite frustrating.

Saturday, we immediately got into some halfies in the morning. Then it slowed down as the day progressed, then just went dead by around 3pm. So, we tried one last place before calling it a day. I fished a tailout above a large rapid, and hooked a big fish. My line came tight and the fish leapt out of the water and again, unfortunately spit the hook. This was a fish I reckoned to be around 28" or so. Big long slender bullet-head hen. Absolute beauty!

Not really sure why the fish weren't as grabby this time around. Maybe the water temperature, which was about 8 degrees cooler than last time???

There were lots of people at the campgrounds up there, but we didn't see hardly anyone fishing. Maybe they were fishing upstream of us. Who knows......

Anyway, had a great trip. Will be back next September, but earlier.

~Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff F; 09-24-2018 at 12:03 PM.

You will probably be fishing the Klamath for many years.

We always fish hard really early like the first 2 to 3 hours in the morning and late afternoon till dark.

We look for runs with shade to fish mid-day.

As it cools off in November you can fish all day.

30 year veteran Noe Fierros goes 3 times a year.

Once in Sept, once in Oct and once in Nov.

Klamath commandos Terry Thomas, Dave Mathews and Sam Dasher usually go up there 2 or 3 times every fall.

Last year and this year they had some really spectacular days up there.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........