Thread: Yuba River Float

Default Yuba River Float

Has anyone floated the Yuba recently? I was going to put in at the bridge and float to sycamore ranch? How is the put in at the bridge and take out at dry creek? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks.

Put in is aggressive. Take out into dry creek is a mandatory walk the boat in mission.

Yes the takeout has become very sketchy. Highly recommend walking the bank and looking at it from Sycamore before you row it. As mentioned above you need to get out of the boat. Above the creek and walk the boat down and around into the ramp approach.

I was down there yesterday and it's pretty rocky at the Sycamore ramp/take out. The flow in the creek is low. Takeout would involve dragging the boat 15 yards over rocks to get to the ramp. It's doable but would take some effort and might leave a few scratches in the bottom of the boat.

There is a place where you can take out on river left towards the bottom of the big island/long bar. It's not a developed ramp and would be similar to the put in site, aggressive. I have not been down there recently and if the left channel is low it would be a no go. Let me know if you're still thinking about it and I'll go down after work some time this week and have a look.
    Last edited by TahoeJoe; 09-17-2018 at 08:44 AM.

We floated it Sunday. The put in wasn't terrible but did have to use 4wd in a couples spot where the boulders were bigger and loose. Though that could have been because I took a less direct route to the launch area.

Fished from 8-2pm for a few fish. Not much bug life under the rocks though there were a bunch of stonefly shucks on the shore. Saw a few salmon roaming the shallows.

At 700 cfs there were a couple shallow riffles we had to push the boat through. The creek leading into the takeout was really low. there were a couple shallow spots you have to drag the boat over to get to the ramp. The ramp itself doesn't reach the water so you have back the trailer on to some rocks and then crank the boat up. We have the G4 bottom on our Hyde so I wasn't to worried about shallow rock but if you are worried about your fiberglass, I wouldn't suggest floating it at these flows right now.

Haven’t been paying attn and didn’t realize the flow was so bony out there. I think the river fishes best especially from a boat at 900-1400. But for wading 700 really opens up a lot of nice options to move around.