Thread: Davis on the rocks?

Default Davis on the rocks?

Lake Davis is seething with bass and sunfish. It is hard to believe that few, if any, trout (or even many insects) could survive into adult hood. What is CDF&Ws management policy up there? Is it simply going to become a put and take fishery sparsely populated with adult wind up hatchery fish, or will it be managed for bass? Lots of houses going up for sale. Is Davis just another has-been?

In Nevada and Oregon many shallow weedy lakes have both trout and warm water species.

We need some fisheries folks to comment on this.

I think the warm water species are in the shallow, warmer water and the trout are in the cooler water that might be deeper, at underwater springs and at tributaries mouths?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLilly View Post
    Lake Davis is seething with bass and sunfish. It is hard to believe that few, if any, trout (or even many insects) could survive into adult hood. What is CDF&Ws management policy up there? Is it simply going to become a put and take fishery sparsely populated with adult wind up hatchery fish, or will it be managed for bass? Lots of houses going up for sale. Is Davis just another has-been?
    The good news is that DFW planted 14,200 pounds of catchable rainbows in August, that's a step in the right direction. Lake Davis has always been managed as a "Put and Take" fishery. The problem is that limits and possession numbers need to be dropped from 5 fish to 2, and 10 in possession to 4. Eagle Lake has been managed that way for a long time and anglers and tourist still make the long drive up there. I do know that bass have always been in Lake Davis and survived both treatments, it's just that now the populations are way up due to planting fingerlings over the course of 10 years and providing Scooby snacks for the bass. There is plenty of aquatic life on the lake, the bio mass is very healthy. I have no idea what the future plans are for Lake Davis, but I will be up there in October and November. I would like to go up sooner but September is already filled up with Lower Yuba and Truckee trips, plus the national TU meeting in Redding. I have a feeling it will fish better this fall and next spring then it has for years - Only time will tell.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Great info Jon.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........