Thread: It is Half-pounder Steelhead time in the long rivers.

Default It is Half-pounder Steelhead time in the long rivers.

Rivers like the lower American, lower Klamath and lower Rogue all have Half-pounders now.

Sept/Oct/Nov is all good.

Let me know if you need any help planning a trip.

I can meet you on the American and give you an hour of help learning the old basic techniques for Half-pounders that we all learned 50 years ago from old timers like Joe Shirshac, Al Perryman and Hal Janssen.

Marilyn and I are RVing up to the Lower Rogue river in mid-September with friends for a week of Half-pounder chasing and I am so excited.

Put you gear in your vehicle so you can go out early or late for Half-pounders on the American.

Half-pounder expert Andy Guibord will be working most weekends at Kiene's Fly shop if you want to get help from the Master.

Yesterday he was tying up some really nice Half-pounder soft hackles for swing in the surface early and late in the day.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, what campground do you recommend for the rogue?

Very nice Honey Bear RV Campground on the ocean above the mouth of the Rogue River or Rogue River RV Campground about 30 miles up the river at Agness.

https://www.honeybearbythesea.com/

http://www.rogueriverrvpark.com/

We have our wives and think that it is nicer for them as we fish in the AM and PM.

Honey Bear has a nice restaurant and it is close to Gold Beach for some dinner and supplies.

Up at Agness is a good choice for fishing further up the river.

Rogue River RV Campground is near the Cougar Lane Store and Restaurant.

Not a lot to do right there for wives but great area for good riffles.

Get a StreamTime map for the Rogue River even if they are all a little dated.

The nice thing about the Lower Rogue is the fact that there is a road along it unlike the lower Klamath.

You need to jet the lower Klamath but you can drive, walk and wade or jet the lower Rogue.

Even though the Half-pounder usually flood in mid August I think the mid-Septmber up at Agness would be the best / safest for serious fly fishers.

Lower Rogue River expert and old friend Bob Long has gone to Agness in mid-September for many years.

The big month for the upper/middle Rogue near Medford is October with larger size "Summer Run Steelhead.

Ashland Fly Shop is a good place for info and flies.

https://www.ashlandflyshop.com/

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Do you tow a car as well? We aren’t setup for that yet. So I was wondering g if fishing is good around Rv sites as well?

Jake

The runs are not too far from the Rogue River RV Campground at Agness but you need a small motorcycle?

Maybe some one else can go and you could ride with them?

Call me....530/753-5267
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Jake, a car would be pretty key for access... and a boat would be even better! Bills descriptions are all very accurate, but if you’ve never been up there you might interpret the road access as being easy access to lots of water. The road is very high above the river for the most part, and the terrain is pretty steep. So there is access, including a bit of “easy” access, bit a lot of it takes some effort to get at. A boat really allows you much easier access to quite a lot of good water. Cross your fingers for no wind, at times it can be a significant issue if you like fishing light tackle for the half pounders.

It is very beautiful country regardless of fish, and well worth the trip! Just do be aware that the access is a bit more limited and difficult than further upriver above the wilderness section.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown