Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stonedaddy fly: alternatives?

Default Stonedaddy fly: alternatives?

Hello members,

I have read about how good a fly the Stonedaddy fly is, imitating stonefly or crawdad, especially in the Truckee river which is where I'm doing my fly fishing lately. However, despite finding it in the Umpqua online catalog, there does not seem to be anywhere that SELLS them. Though I did tie flies in past, I just don't have time to do so anymore. So I won't be doing the obvious: tie them myself. Which leads to my questions....:

1. Does anyone have info on why it is not available commercially? What happened? Or if you know where they CAN be purchased, then where?
    2. What is your favorite Alternative fly to the Stonedaddy fly (that is available for purchase)?
    3. If I do have some free time, what Simple pattern would you suggest to tie, using common materials (not uncommon expensive ones)?

Thanks in advance.
    FISHBONZ!!

A simple pattern to tie that I use for both stones and the crayfish molt is a plain old bird's nest with a bead head. I'm not sure if it is as catching as a stone daddy but I seem to have luck.

The hardware store in Truckee has them. And so does at least one of fly shops in Sacramento. Call around.

Doug Oulette is the source. Text (775) 722-2267. I no longer have his email.

One lesson you learn on a high pressure fishery like the T, is that "killer fly" won't be for long if everyone fishes it.
    Let alone posts it up.....
    Love Doug's patterns, but went through this with Haddon's cray...which used to be killer. Now the fish say..."Tim's sz 8 cray, no way!
    Often the fish looks, but doesn't buy.
    Tye your own for best results, you only need one..........the fish in the T could help with inventory at Mt hardware.......
    Because it is the only shop in town.......

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 08-31-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Agreed, check Mountain Hardware in Truckee. They have a nice selection of flies
    for the Big T and Little T.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    One lesson you learn on a high pressure fishery like the T, is that "killer fly" won't be for long if everyone fishes it.
    Jim
    We'll put Jim. Mix it up. Use the new "hot" patterns, then sneak in some old stand by that used to be the rage but few use any longer. Not a whole lot of fish swimming in the river today have seen a spruce matuka or a gray ghost. There is a reason those names have lived through eternity when so many flash-in-the-pan patterns disappear in a few seasons. The beauty of tying/inventing your own patterns is that they are always fresh meat and not some recycled product that trout simply roll their eyes at.

Years ago, Andy told me flies are tied to catch fishermen.........
    He would know....he caught a bunch.
    I learned from him to tie for the fish. Guide flies are often not pretty, but fish well....because fish don't see them.
    It's not unusual here, to see a fish "bird dogging" a fly for 10-20 feet or more. Careful shopping is how it looks to me.
    An unaffected drift is as important as fly choice.
    But just as importantly, I don't fish the same thing all the time or in the same spot, or even using the same techniques.
    And if I do use store bought flies....they may not look exactly like they did when sold..................
    Think outside the box for best results.
    I always say....don't fish like the other guy......

Jim

This reminds me of what my old friend David Schacter told me years ago, when he was guiding: When he was lucky enough to be on top of a hatch, he would take a look at what was hatching and tie on the opposite! If it was light colored he would go to dark and vice-versa. What he did say was he would stay near the size but he believed throwing something "odd" (color wise) caught the eye of fish better. Considering he was so successful so much of the time (at least when I fished with him) I trust there must have been some truth to this. Then agin during a wild hatch, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    Years ago, Andy told me flies are tied to catch fishermen.........
    He would know....he caught a bunch.
    I learned from him to tie for the fish. Guide flies are often not pretty, but fish well....because fish don't see them.
    It's not unusual here, to see a fish "bird dogging" a fly for 10-20 feet or more. Careful shopping is how it looks to me.
    An unaffected drift is as important as fly choice.
    But just as importantly, I don't fish the same thing all the time or in the same spot, or even using the same techniques.
    And if I do use store bought flies....they may not look exactly like they did when sold..................
    Think outside the box for best results.
    I always say....don't fish like the other guy......

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by fishbonz View Post
    Hello members,

I have read about how good a fly the Stonedaddy fly is, imitating stonefly or crawdad, especially in the Truckee river which is where I'm doing my fly fishing lately. However, despite finding it in the Umpqua online catalog, there does not seem to be anywhere that SELLS them. Though I did tie flies in past, I just don't have time to do so anymore. So I won't be doing the obvious: tie them myself. Which leads to my questions....:

1. Does anyone have info on why it is not available commercially? What happened? Or if you know where they CAN be purchased, then where?
    2. What is your favorite Alternative fly to the Stonedaddy fly (that is available for purchase)?
    3. If I do have some free time, what Simple pattern would you suggest to tie, using common materials (not uncommon expensive ones)?

Thanks in advance.

There are a lot of good flies on the T or any other stream for that matter. I've used the stone daddy as a staple for quite sometime as crawfish and stoneflies are a big source of protein for trout on the bit T. I wouldn't say there is any secret sauce though. Its just as much reading water type and drift as it is fly selection. I was in Kienes the other day and they didn't carry the pattern. I know Fly Fishing Specialities and Mtn Hardware have it.

Here is a pic from last week on the T. Yeah the little guy took the Daddy. So much for those smart Truckee fish.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4650.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	14333

Good luck.