Thread: New Camera Choices ?

Angry New Camera Choices ?

Last Sunday coming out of Boyds Pump ramp my boat bag bounced off unbeknownst to me till I got home. Along with a couple of boxes of Clousers and several spools of 20# flourocarbon I also lost my phone and my Canon Power Shot blue body. Uugh

So now I'm looking for another small camera and want it to be safe around the water. Getting wet is a normal thing with fishing.

I've considered a GoPro but am now leaning toward an Olympus TG-5. Nothing wrong with the Canon I HAD, but was wondering if anyone of you guys can suggest another option. I'm big on good clarity but hate risking my full size 35 when I'm wading.

Any suggestions for a new small camera? Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony - Bummer on the lost boat bag. That definately calls for use of the angry face emoji. I really worry about the losing fly boxes especially the ones I have hours and hours of work into.

I have the Olympus TG 5. The photos in the Emigrant Yosemite post and the under water shots and underwater video in the Quetico post are from the TG 5. That should give a good idea of its capabilities. I have a 19 mm fish eye lens I put on it which is a lot of fun to play with. You can also attach a polarizer which is a must have on a fishing trip. I do think the camera over saturates and generally over edits the photos a little but that seems to be the trend in cameras, phones and video monitors now. It has a million features I don’t use like WiFi and gps. I mainly wanted underwater capability, attachable lens and filters and good resolution which it has.

John,

Great to look at your examples . Beautiful.

Question? When you take your underwater shots how do you frame your subject without getting underwater as well ? Or do you simply aim and click away hoping you'll get a got good one that's worth saving ?
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Aim and click away. At first they will all be terrible but after a few fish you will figure it out and get some good ones. It is easiest if you are standing in the water but you can lean over the side of the boat. If you get big fish like I know you do you will need someone to hold the fish while you shoot. You could get some really good saltwater fish if you were wade fishing. I took this one leaning over the side of the canoe. Good resolution. You can see air bubbles on the fish's nose.

Default Fuji XP

Tony,.... Just as an alternative, consider using a Fuji XP Waterproof to 65 feet and shock proof to 5.8 foot drop. I've only used mine once so far and it was on a dark/windy day. No photos kept. The viewing screen was easy to see as it was backlit. It seems a bit heavy for its size, tho. Still, a point and shoot. Easy to use and feels OK in the hand. Something to consider.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Tony,
    Get the TG5 and when we are in Aitutaki, you can swim underwater and take a photo or video of the big GT i'll have on the end of the line. I've used my TG4 most of the time. I leave the expensive Canon at home. But I thinking of taking my Canon 70D with me to Aitutaki along with the telephoto lens. The only problem will be my carryon weight. If I pack all my rods and reels in the check in, then I should be able to carry the camera's in the back pack. I'll probably have 30lbs just in flies.
    I finished packing for my baja trip in a month and have the other tackle set aside for Aitutaki ready to pack...
    There getting some decent size yellow fin, wahoo, dorado and a few roosters, right outside Muertos and the southend of the island.
    See you soon.
    J

Jay,

You won't have any problem on the Air New Zealand part of the flight, but once we get to Rarotonga that little plane going to Aitutaki will be the limiting factor

Glad to hear you like the Olympus TG5. That's pretty much been my choice for a new camera. And yes, I can't wait to jump in the water and take a picture of that big GT.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180