Thread: How Deep do you Swing the American?

Default How Deep do you Swing the American?

Talked to Simon G. (Rio) at the Golden Gate Rio Day last Saturday. Asked about the new "game changer" head. We talked about depth of swing and such. He says that he always uses a floating line until the water drops below around 50 degrees, at which point he starts to put the fly down in front of the fish. Otherwise he's looking for the fish to rise up through the water column to take the fly.

I downloaded the USGS water temps for the Lower American and found that it drops to right around 50 degrees for the moths of Jan and Feb. Looking back, I've been fishing with a 10' T10 whenever I'm on the water, now wondering if I was doing it all wrong

So, here's my question: how deep do you swing the American and does it change throughout the season?

Paul

Spring or Fall I would swing near the top in the AM and PM. (Floating Scandi head with tapered leader as long as your rod)

Then fish medium in the day time. ( Floating Scandi head with short Versi leader )

Winter I would fish deep all the time. ( Floating Skagit head with extra fast T type tip and short leader)

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I usually work a run with a dry line first, esp March-Oct, then add a poly leader /versi leader the second time through the run. Probably as much personal preference as anything, just prefer the grab in the film. Unless the flows are way up, I don’t know that most runs on the American, or the Feather or Yuba for that matter, require T-anything. Intermediate head and poly leader are more pleasant to cast when I need to get down. May not get to every fish in the river, but I suppose if it just about numbers, I’d move to Portland or spring for some BC trips...