Thread: Seward Alaska and the Kenai Peninsula

Default Seward Alaska and the Kenai Peninsula

Finally doing my dream trip and headed out to Alaska. Going DIY almost dirtbag, no lodge, just a backpack, my fly rods and gear...just cruising around, sleeping in a van, hitting AIRBNB's, maybe get a guide here or there. Got a truck and also a friend who lives in Seward so I'll be around that area a bunch.

We'll be focusing around the Kenai peninsula, he's got some trout spots and silver salmon spots too.

Just wanted to see if anyone has spent some time out near Seward and around that area for some fly fishing. Any suggestions on areas to hit would be cool too? Stories? Any restaurants or bars I should hit too?

Thanks ya'll

Better flyfishing on the Kenai side of the peninsula, no secret; upper Quartz Creek (carry bear spray and know how to use it), upper Russian River-walk upstream away from crowds, to the falls at least. Look for ‘bows below the sockeye. Again, bear spray.
    Do you have a boat? Very helpful. Some Lakes can be getting good that time of year.
    Robert

Further down the peninsula are some small streams you can wade across and still catch salmon, steelhead, and sea-run dollies. Check out the Anchor River and Deep Creek.

Grant at http://www.alaskaflybox.com/ can put you on them.

Pinks probably waning and silvers probably pretty good. last time I checked, only $99 for a half day of walk and wade.

Morgan's Landing was always great for Sockeyes but that is done for the year. Kasilof River has a few access points for some Silvers and Dollies. Quartz Creek is fantastic but keep your eyes open the Grizz is always around. Have fun it's a great time up there. I would also consider going up North to Talkeetna and contact Mahay's Guide Service. Reasonable and they will get you into some great fishing.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Morris View Post
    Morgan's Landing was always great for Sockeyes but that is done for the year. Kasilof River has a few access points for some Silvers and Dollies. Quartz Creek is fantastic but keep your eyes open the Grizz is always around. Have fun it's a great time up there. I would also consider going up North to Talkeetna and contact Mahay's Guide Service. Reasonable and they will get you into some great fishing.
    This ^ X2.
    Several streams up there with nice trout that haven’t had their mandibles ripped off. Another guide is this guy, very reasonable and worth the $ to show you where and when, really cuts the learning curve. Access is the main difficulty for newbies and these guys will put you in the right spot and save you days of chasing your tail.
    https://www.davefishalaska.com/
    If you go to Talkeetna don’t pass the Talkeetna Roadhouse, right on Main Street, great breakfast, lunch, pie, food too go. Reasonable by Alaska standards and just excellent food.
    Robert