Thread: Flying Fish

Default Flying Fish

Anyone have a Flying Fish pattern you're willing to share?? Was watching the BBC video of Dorado chasing them and decided to see if a Flying Fish fly would work on them at La Ventana. I've seen the captains down there handle a Flying Fish for bait and they're quite long (7" - 9" in length), Deep blue on the back, silvery sides and early/white under.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Aloha Darian, flying fish come in all sizes. Try this purple popper, I like it or the blue one to mimic a flying fish.
    http://www.rainysflies.com/all-purpo...bubble-head-fm
    Get the 5/0 size and now there is a 6/0 with an even stronger hook. Good luck, Don
    Don Memmer

Aloha Don,

Will they be making the body a bit longer too to accommodate the larger size hook?

Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Hey Tony, I just got the new 6/0 pink poppers and have yet to try them out. They look good and the body is only like a 1/4 inch longer not wider, so it should work really well.

Got this 50lber on the old 5/0 hook last week on a spin rod. Tough 1/2 hour fight. Rainy's made some new 5/0's with a thin hook that would bend. It was fine for small shibi, like 10lbs but over 30lbs the gap would bend and you would loose the fish. Now I think we have it fixed with the new hook.
    I like the purple or blue when the baby flying fish, malolo are around. It is cool to see the mahi flare their dorsal and cahse the popper. If they miss it they get even more pissed off. Good fun, Don.
    Don Memmer

Hi Darian,

I been killing the fish for 19 years in Baja with my blue and white Chicken fly, it's tied on a tube and has the dual hook setup. I have also used the Blue/white Crease fly on a 5/0 hook and now also use the blue and white belly dancer. My fly is exactly like you described. with a candy apple dark blue back ,giant eyes and white under-body with a flash tail. I have tweaked it a little here and and there however for the most part it hasn't changed. have the same fly in Pink and two years ago I also added the Dorado colored chicken, all those chicken flies are just death. You can troll them or cast them. Another thing to consider is in over a year and a half of fishing days in Loreto and I have witnessed Dorado chasing flying fish just like you see in the video, and I mean I have been right in the middle of it and have NEVER EVER hooked up while the Dorado were in those kinds of blitz. we see clouds of fly fish a couple feet out of the water with the Dorado right on there heels come right past our boat so close you could almost reach out and grab one, and again never a hook -up on those same fish. However a few minuets later we usually score doubles. pretty wierd.

If you want me to send you a private picture just ask

Carl Blackledge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chicken Flies 4.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	14330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chicken Flies 2.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	14331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chicken Flies 3.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	14332  
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 08-25-2018 at 07:02 PM.

I like the production line of crease flies in the background Carl.
    ....lee s.

Hey Lee,

When tying the Crease flies and the belly dancer's I have to tie in production mode cause there are so many periods where you have to wait for each section to dry, so after each phase I can move on to the next fly and not wait around. Good eye

Carl