Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truckee, CA.

Yfly10.....Thanks for getting back......It is good to know the reports are helping. You been hooking up?
    I don't really mind your or other reports, (I can't be out every day) just not into weather/fish speculations for the future.
    Even if you live here, you can't tell......so we don't try.
    The thing to remember, and locals know, is everyday is different, and a report here is good for about a day.
    For instance, the day before yesterday, it was fishy, yesterday was tough. Not sure why.....(no clouds!)
    Two big grabs and I missed both. Have to go today to shake off the slam down. That's the T!
    Fine time to be out.......
    Treat'em nice....

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 10-15-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Was going to post a pic of snow here......but it is just more white. Ha.
    I'll get a shot when the sun shines next....

Edit.....11/29/18
    It is time to fish......or ski....we got about 24" of heavy snow at the resort, bring your rock skis!
    It's rained even up high(ugly) so it was about half gone say a foot left, of real base snow. Since then we have another foot.
    The resort forgets to subtract the melting parts of the week, I don't.
    The T was up a bit, but has a nice color(typical of the T once nights are back to freezing).
    I'd say about 6" in town and it is snowing lightly.

The upper river between Trout Creek and Tahoe City is closed till next year....but looks very good...ha!

The fish are very fast at picking up, and putting down!! Set on everything that MIGHT even be a fish.....twitchy is the way...
    Getting a bit quieter on the water......we are down to two bugs, Baetis and Midges. Either dries or nymphing.
    Seeing swirls just below the surface much more than a couple weeks ago.

Find one and fish to him if possible......as opposed to prospecting. First drift is key......
    Hoppers are done....
    October Caddis are about done.....saw a few day the before ......An emergence that lasted from Sept, to Nov.....longest in my experience.
    Baetis sz 20 dries...Burks Silhouette Dun. JUJUs and emergers are best bets.
    They come off about 11:00 am as a Dun, and return to the water about 2:30 in split wing mode.
    Smidges abound of course...early they pop, later they bounce on the water.
    You can cross in many places.....maybe wade the middle and fish the edges.....
    The evenings are getting chilly, and mornings are brisk.....sure beats hot weather/water.
    Soft hackles might be the best way right now. Just swing it! Perhaps in a riffle.....
    Let your drift swing all the way through to the end and maybe dangle a bit...even when nymphing....I missed a big grab as I started to cast. You have been warned....
    Temps will start warm and then get down to 7deg this weekend...ready? Bring stuff to be safe when traveling over the pass.
    Flows are 129cfs in town......266 below..very wade-able...it is very slippery, bring studs and a staff, and backup clothing in case!
    It's a good time to team fish, by having a friend spot for you. There are some nice fish in low water, but they are wise and can see a caster 30 yards out or more.

Treat'em nice.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 11-29-2018 at 02:48 PM.