Thread: Motorhome, Pull Behind or a 5th Wheel?

Default Motorhome, Pull Behind or a 5th Wheel?

Curious from those in the know to the pros and cons of the three types of RVs mentioned above in the title. After driving a Motor Home and pulling a jeep for two weeks, I don't think the motor home is for me. I think i would rather drive my truck and pull something vs. a big RV pulling a jeep or something.

I think I want a pull behind travel trailer. Something between 30' - 33' in length. Some say go for the 5th wheel but, I don't want to give up the bed of my truck. The next comment is a get a toy hauler but, the only thing I can really see putting back there would be my bikes or my pontoon... seems like a waste of space. Especially, if it will mostly be for 2 maybe three adults... ie the wife and I or myself and a couple of fishing buddies.

I've had all three at one time or another. I agree about the motorhome. Wasn't to my taste, especially having to tow a car behind. Moved to a 28' Arctic Fox several years ago and that was my dream RV. But for some reason unknown to me we traded up to a 42' 5th wheel 2 years ago. It's the most comfortable rig I've owned and now that I'm retired and live in it 7 months out of the year I'm glad we moved to the 5'er. Still have room in the truck bed for bunches of stuff especially if you get an Anderson Hitch. The hitch is easy in/out and only weighs 40lbs. The driving experience, 5th wheel vs. pull, is way nicer with the 5th wheel.

Having said all that if it was just me (no spouse or kids) my dream rig would be a Glacier Peak or Arctic Fox 5th wheel. I think they both come in 28' models, from sister companies. The Glacier is built in Oregon and has just about the same specs as the Arctic Fox. I'd have a receiver hitch on the RV and tow a small boat. The drawback to a 5'er as big as mine is I'm over the length limit for most states triple towing laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    I've had all three at one time or another. I agree about the motorhome. Wasn't to my taste, especially having to tow a car behind. Moved to a 28' Arctic Fox several years ago and that was my dream RV. But for some reason unknown to me we traded up to a 42' 5th wheel 2 years ago. It's the most comfortable rig I've owned and now that I'm retired and live in it 7 months out of the year I'm glad we moved to the 5'er. Still have room in the truck bed for bunches of stuff especially if you get an Anderson Hitch. The hitch is easy in/out and only weighs 40lbs. The driving experience, 5th wheel vs. pull, is way nicer with the 5th wheel.

Having said all that if it was just me (no spouse or kids) my dream rig would be a Glacier Peak or Arctic Fox 5th wheel. I think they both come in 28' models, from sister companies. The Glacier is built in Oregon and has just about the same specs as the Arctic Fox. I'd have a receiver hitch on the RV and tow a small boat. The drawback to a 5'er as big as mine is I'm over the length limit for most states triple towing laws.
    Thanks Idadon. Have to tell you, we chose the northern ID route to Montana on our trip and it was definitely the right choice! We camped one night on the Clark Fork at Sloway. Very nice spot! My boys and I all caught some fish right where the St. Regis dumps into the Clark Fork. That was a great afternoon!

I've only ever been in a 5th wheel once it was set up at a camp. It seemed a little precariously balanced, not incredibly stable when it wasn't attached to the truck. I can see where they would be the easier of the three to manage while driving. One thing I figure on, I will have to give up the more comfortable ride of a 1/2 ton P.U. for the brawn of a 3/4 ton.

I do like the idea of being able to tow my drift boat behind a 5th wheel. But, if I remember correctly, in CA, the only people eligible for a license to pull two trailers are commercial drivers. Not a qualification i have....

I'll check out the Glaciers and the Arctic Fox. Thanks again!

Jay

If you have a motor home and tow a car your wife can get up and go to the bathroom while going down the road.

A motor home can also tow a boat if you have another couple or a group.

If you have a big 5th wheel you need a diesel truck.

If you get a small light weight 5th wheel you can tow it with a V8 pickup or V8 SUV.

If you get a small light weight trailer you can tow it with a medium size V6 SUV or V6 pickup.

Buying used RVs is a good way to go or at the big shows or at year end?

To use an RV you need to retired or semi-retired, single or have a wife who like to go or will let you go.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

As a general rule I avoid triple towing in California as the law is confusing, at least to me. California law says boats, atv's, etc. are ok to triple tow but towing any rig over 40' long requires an endorsement on your license and the second trailer is less then 10'000lbs. I'm not sure what endorsment they're talking about but it doesn't say a CDL. I think that it's unlawful altogether in Oregon and Washington. To confuse things those states that do allow triples all seem to have different regulations concerning length allowed. I have an 18' pull trailer that I tow my boat behind but I don't usually go more then 250 miles or so, Idaho & Montana mostly. I'm pretty sure I'm safe with my small, weekend rig.

Keeping with the triple concept. I've been told that triple towing with a 5th wheel works much better, less sway while towing. On my little pull trailer I have sway control bars between truck & trailer and trailer to boat. Seems to be pretty steady that way.

As far as trucks go any pull trailer or 5'er in the 30' neighborhood probably needs a 3/4 ton truck. I prefer diesel just to get the torque. When it comes to motorhome, well mine just turned out to be to expensive. I can fix most of what breaks on a trailer but that MH JUST NICKLE & DIMED ME TO DEATH! But I'll side with Bill on on on aspect of motorhome they are convenient when it comes to peepee stops. And your way ahead if you can get your wife to drive while you relax.
    Last edited by Idadon; 08-22-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Also for better fuel economy I do cruise control at 60mph in the right lane.

If you have an RV you need to keep it well serviced by yourself, a friend or a good shop.

Don't drive uphill in the mountains in the summer in the afternoon........sure destruction.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I think the bathroom part is the only real bonus for me with the Motor Home. I really don't mind driving, I actually enjoy it... but, I just didn't like driving that Big Turd(Robin Williams RV reference). I kept thinking I'd rather drive my truck(F150 FX4 Crew Cab) with a trailer behind it than this beast. If you lost your momentum before a hill you were screwed and that V10 sitting between the wife and i is loud!

I am also not a fan of the idea of having a dually as the lone vehicle once you set up camp somewhere if, going the 5th wheel route. Plus, I don't think I want to give up my 4 wheel drive. I spend considerable amount of time in snowy conditions and tend to use my fair share of unimproved launches. I know a drift boat is light but, sometimes 4 wheel drive is necessary... I think for me/us, a pull behind might be the best choice followed by a 5th wheel. For the cost of the type of motor home that would make the wife happy, I should be able to pick up a newer-used F250 Crew Cab and a newer-used pull behind and be set up pretty well!

Glad you enjoyed Northern Idaho. It is pretty up there. I used to have family in Bonners Ferry and a son at the U of Idaho. Fished the Clearwater often and occasionally up north around Bonners. Haven't been back up there for a long time now.