Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Video. Lake Oroville/ Primarily Topwater

Default New Video. Lake Oroville/ Primarily Topwater

Just put together a little video for Lake Oroville. I got to film Boti (the kid I've been taking out for years now) on a good school of fish. And he landed a bass on top, that tournament anglers out there would REALLY want to say the least. Was a well deserved fish for him. If the fish wasn't on the first cast literally, I would have got it all on film, but the pic is in the video along with the release.

One of these days I will learn how to upload a video with perfect quality for the desktops like everyone else does. But until then, the quality seems much better on a phone screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsrzBYcN0fs

It is great when you can actually fly cast that well too.

Thanks for the wonderful video Ryan.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Ryan - When you render the video there are quality setting options. In photoshop the default option is the lowest quality option so it is best to select a higher quality. The six minute video I posted last month was 240 Mb in the lowest quality option and 1.5 Gb in the option I used. There was a 5 Gb option but that would have taken all day to upload. You may not be using photoshop but whatever you are using you might want to check the rendering quality options.

Pretty good editing on your video. The big one always eludes the camera. Shoot a lot of video and you should get something good is what I have found.

I have been on some professional fly fishing show video shoots.

I think they used about 10% of the footage we shot which is how they get the good stuff.

Much cheaper now that they have digital.........after you buy all the gear.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the compliment Bill. I enjoy fishing light flies for bass, casting is just much more enjoyable.

I forgot and should have mentioned before, if anyone is interested in the fly in this video, the only place this fly can be purchased happens to be at Kiene's! Mr. Al. Bunch showed me this fly a while ago and recommended it for Lake Oroville. It's been a game changer. Stealth bomber. The ones sold at Kiene's are totally different than any other ones sold.

John, right now I'm using the free Imovie that came on my computer. And I did upload using the highest quality available. I need to get a better quality editing program I think. I'm also using a pretty cheap video camera too, and an older gopro. I've since figured out in this video, on youtube you can select an option in the settings for a higher quality to 1080p, and that does seem to help with the quality a little bit.

I enjoy making the movies, but the camera is a huge distraction when I'm having to scout water, or when I'm guiding. Lots of moons have to align these days for me to hit the filming hard. Fishing is allot easier when all you have to worry about is catching the fish... Factor in getting it all on film, and productivity slows, at least on my boat. Gonna keep the videos coming, just slowly but surely.

Gonna start making some long overdue informational videos now though. Should be soon to come!

Ryan - photoshop elements is $90 which is a pretty cheap upgrade but the biggest investment is the time spent learning to use it. Elements does more than I need but if I ever get to where I need more features I can get the full version of photoshop for $10 a month and won’t need too much retraining. Having the camera on your forehead is a big distraction. It is like texting and driving. I need to fish with you sometime. Maybe Clear Lake. I am on your email list.
    Last edited by John H; 08-25-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Howdy Ryan,

I too have made all my videos with Apple's basic iMovie (the older version of the software). I'm still trying to hone my skills, sharpen my technique, and maximize iMovie's capabilities. It's truly a powerful tool to work with. I hope you stay with it and enjoy the process. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results.

Cheers, Ken

http://medialibrary.pacificextremes.com/
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Ken, this is really good to know, that you use iMovie. This makes me feel better about my setup. Been enjoying your videos for years, and they've deffinately been inspirational for me. I know I just need a better video camera. By the way, I checked out your link, I didn't realize you had all your videos right there. Just watched dragons and bass. Really cool! Can't wait to see some more I haven't seen yet.

And thanks John! I'd love to get you out to clear lake sometime! Getting my boat out of the shop soon and I'm going to try to finish the season strong.

Digging the video's man. Keep up the good work.

Scott and I are going to be in your neck of the woods this weekend. I'm staying at Lake of the Springs.

Hit me us if your around for a beer and some BBQ.

Say hey Ryan,
    Thanks for the positive note. Much appreciated.

The one real tip I can say that affects anyone trying to create these fishing video experiences is "You can fish with your tackle, but you create video content with your camera. Camera work needs to be a priority whenever possible." As Bill mentioned, most of the time the finished presentation only utilizes a very small percentage of the imagery that was created in the field. Though that certainly changes with the style of editing from one person to another.

Stick with it Ryan. It's a great creative experience. Everyone has their own style of storytelling. I look forward to seeing your next project.
    Cheers, Ken
    Last edited by k.hanley; 08-30-2018 at 01:57 PM.
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!