Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hat Creek Fire

Default Hat Creek Fire

A fire broke out last night close to Hat Creek Park on 299. it burned over Clearwater Lodge and Pit Powerhouse #1 and is heading towards Fall River Mills. Cal Fire saved Clearwater and everyone got out safe.

https://www.redding.com/story/news/l...ate/952298002/
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

God bless our firefighters. I've been in Norcal my entire life and I've never seen a fire season like this. Its just frightening.

I hate to say this but how many are started by someone?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Per an article I read today 84% bill.

This is a bad year for sure with 800k acres burnt so far and the largest in history burning now but in. 2008 we had 1.2 million torched as of right now

I keep hearing “climate change” is the cause due to “longer fire seasons” but 84% is 84% and two of the biggest fire years in history (2008 and this year) both amassed the bulk of fires all as of the first week in august (shout out to uncle jerry)

There are 129 million dead trees in California right now, killed by drought and bark beetles that used to die in the winter but don’t anymore because it’s so much warmer. Even if people are starting fires, the fact they they are getting so big so fast is 100% due to climate change.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    There are 129 million dead trees in California right now, killed by drought and bark beetles that used to die in the winter but don’t anymore because it’s so much warmer. Even if people are starting fires, the fact they they are getting so big so fast is 100% due to climate change.
    Agreed. The human-caused ignition component has been >80% for at least the past 50 years. The fires we started in the 70's did not burn like the fires we've experienced over the past 15 years.
    Last edited by Ralph; 08-11-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Off topic, but are the dead trees, specifically those affected by disease/beetles, have any usefulness?, i.g., lumber, etc.

I already understand the challenges regarding removing such trees......

Harvesting that many trees appears to be such an undertaking. Harvesters cannot obtain bank loans for expansion purposes for equipment and wages because they are not able to use the harvestable lands, which they do not own in the first place, as collateral to satisfy bank requirements to guarantee loans. Without a recoverable asset, other than timber, harvesters seem to be at a disadvantage. I read about this dilemma sometime last year and will try to find a link to that specific article and post it later. Under the current harvest rate, it would take well over 125 years to remove the existing dead trees in California alone. The harvestable timber above Groveland took quite a bit of time after the last fire, which burned around Hetch Hetchy until the forest did not sustain sufficient undergrowth to support the fire's eastern movement. The National Park Service just let it burn once the fire crossed over into the park boundaries.

The proper way to look at this fire situations is by looking at numbers.....
    How many fires total?

How many started by people?

How many are started by natural reasons?

How many acres?

What is the population of people?

What’s the reason for burning bigger? Terrain or hard to access water sources and so on?

So here are a few ideas of mine to think upon.

A rough idea is as follows.

Mid 1900’s puts us at 1950’s population wasn’t a faction of what is it today. So people might not have gone to far out in the boonies to start fires. Also resources where probably more available to contain a smaller population. Because of this.

Fast forward to 2018, many more people, and many more that are not real bright going around starting fires. So if there are tens more fires vs the 1950’s wouldn’t that require a greater amount of resources????

Then again I might be looking at it differently.
    Last edited by winxp_man; 08-12-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

I was a 5 year CDF firefighter back in the '80's. In the 60's and 70's, there were far more wildland fires than today. If I remember the number today, it is slightly more than half the number of fires back in that time. The big difference I see today, is the fuel load. In areas where we had light, flashy fuels, such as grass, today, the same area is loaded up with Scotch broom, scrub oak, manzanita, etc. that is producing much hotter burning, more dangerous fire. And of course, today, there are far more homes thrown into the topography. This is all combining to create these dangerous situations.

Back in my time, when we had a fire start in these areas, you had lighter fuel load and very little population. You could make a direct attack on the fire. Today, often times the game begins with life protection first, getting the people out of harm's way, and protecting structures due to the population increase in rural areas. The direct attack in some instances cannot begin until day 2. By this time, the fire is building up to major fire status and already into the thousands of acres.