Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hat Creek Fire

Question Wild Fires....

It seems to me that the term "human caused" isn't really descriptive enough to understand the circumstances surrounding the starting of fires. Too general. Probably the information is known professionals already but not available to the general public for whatever reason. What's the breakdown??

How many fires are accidentally sparked by someone using a lawn mower or other motorized equipment, utility lines sparking a fire or illegal campfires?? There're preventive measures that can be taken for some instances but how do we prevent naturally caused fires or an arsonist from deliberately setting fires?? Investigation/detection/conviction determines the cause and, hopefully, identifies the culprit but doesn't stop the damage. Since a single arsonist can set many fires before being identified and arrested, is there anything that can be done to prevent this or is arson in the same category as naturally caused fire??
    Last edited by Darian; 08-14-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    I was a 5 year CDF firefighter back in the '80's. In the 60's and 70's, there were far more wildland fires than today. If I remember the number today, it is slightly more than half the number of fires back in that time. The big difference I see today, is the fuel load. In areas where we had light, flashy fuels, such as grass, today, the same area is loaded up with Scotch broom, scrub oak, manzanita, etc. that is producing much hotter burning, more dangerous fire. And of course, today, there are far more homes thrown into the topography. This is all combining to create these dangerous situations.

Back in my time, when we had a fire start in these areas, you had lighter fuel load and very little population. You could make a direct attack on the fire. Today, often times the game begins with life protection first, getting the people out of harm's way, and protecting structures due to the population increase in rural areas. The direct attack in some instances cannot begin until day 2. By this time, the fire is building up to major fire status and already into the thousands of acres.
    Very interesting insight.

Back in my time, when we had a fire start in these areas, you had lighter fuel load and very little population. You could make a direct attack on the fire. Today, often times the game begins with life protection first, getting the people out of harm's way, and protecting structures due to the population increase in rural areas. The direct attack in some instances cannot begin until day 2. By this time, the fire is building up to major fire status and already into the thousands of acres.

This

The average California temperature is 2 degrees warmer today than in the 70's. Fire season now starts earlier and lasts longer than at any time since we started keeping records in the 1870's. Daily spikes in temperature mean little when talking about trends lasting weeks and months and entire seasons. Fuels cure faster, ignition is quicker, spread is faster, and the growth of fire dependent vegetation is encouraged by our warming climate. Many of our so called wild land fires are exacerbated by burning houses which have many fold the BTUs of any stand of brush or forest.

I saw something recently up in Oregon and for the life of me I can't understand why we are not doing the same thing here in California. While heading east past the North Umpqua on Hwy 138 we noticed the huge piles of dead forest being piled up, mile after mile. Ridding the forest floor of a lot of that fuel. I know that there is a lot of forest out there but, if we were doing the same thing, at least in the high probability areas, along highways etc. maybe, we can prevent a few of these fires from growing at such a fast rate and we might have a better chance of controlling some of them. Seems like a good job for The CCC or for some prison work programs...

This is done in CA. Lot's to do though.

There are about 80 million acres of forest and open range land in California that are at risk of wildfire. We can never hope to clear even a fraction of that but we do have to be strategic and we need better forestry management to reduce fuel load and tree density. There are 129 million dead trees in the state, we can begin by getting those out.

But in CA, if you try to remove a tree that is a risk, someone will sue you. PG&E remove hundreds of thousands of trees every year that are a threat to transmission lines. Almost every time they pull a permit to remove a dangerous tree, someone objects....even communities that have had catastrophic fires like Oakland, routinely object to tree trimming and removal. People want to live in semi rural rustic areas, surrounded by mature trees, they also want electricity delivered to their home, and they want someone else to assume the liability if a fire starts and pay for a new house.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Bump Bailey, there is a program which has been in effect for over10 years called Fire Safe. It is a local community program that the community creates a council that recommends projects in their local area. This is funded primarily by a Cal Fire program. Most all of the projects that I have seen were targeted around communities. Examples up here in Eastern Shasta County projects were completed around the Western side of Cassel, both sides of the Day Road east of Mc Arthur and also on the west and south sides of Burney. Most of these projects were completed by the Intermountain Conservation Camp in Bieber. The inmates did a wonderful job on cleaning up the project areas. Some other projects were completed on Timber company lands using private contractors. The CCC camp in Magalia also has been doing projects in Butte county along with inmates from the Salt Creek conservation camp that's west of Corning. These projects are completed in the off season away from fire season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    The average California temperature is 2 degrees warmer today than in the 70's. Fire season now starts earlier and lasts longer than at any time since we started keeping records in the 1870's. Daily spikes in temperature mean little when talking about trends lasting weeks and months and entire seasons. Fuels cure faster, ignition is quicker, spread is faster, and the growth of fire dependent vegetation is encouraged by our warming climate. Many of our so called wild land fires are exacerbated by burning houses which have many fold the BTUs of any stand of brush or forest.
    And humans have been around 1000s of years (depending on who you talk to). 150 years isn't a
    good litmus test if the earth is billions of years old, as far as blaming climate change.
    Guess it depends if you blame humans or not. I don't, but that's my opinion. Everyone has one.

Sure climates change...have for millions/billions of years, well before we were here.

Eric
    Last edited by EricO; 08-13-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    There are about 80 million acres of forest and open range land in California that are at risk of wildfire. We can never hope to clear even a fraction of that but we do have to be strategic and we need better forestry management to reduce fuel load and tree density. There are 129 million dead trees in the state, we can begin by getting those out.
    Sounds like a job for Elon Musk........ New venture...... "Tree-X" OOoops, too late, I should have written this down on a napkin at lunch....