Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retirement is great

Default Retirement is great

We left California Aug 1st for Idaho Falls and it is wonderful! So glad to be out of CA. Every day I can flip a coin and fish a different world class river. Oh, and did I mention the fishing is great? Sorry, don't want to rub it in too much.
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

Shhhh....you're supposed to tell everyone that the fishing sucks! Always mention the huge number of Grizzlys that inhabit the area and how the Moose chase fisherman out of the water.

Just kidding of course. Welcome to IF!

With only a few exceptions, all of the fishing since I started 40 years ago have gone downhill in California. Fish now because it’s probably the best it’s going to be for you.

Good for you brother...I have been out eight years...only miss the people

I still promote retiring as soon as possible.

Leaving California is OK too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I've been retired 16 years and thought about moving out of CA but with all the grand kids here, doesn't look like that will happen.
    I quit trout fishing 40 years ago and stuck with salt water fishing. Living n the Monterey area, I fished the beaches 5 days a week when I retired. This was in between going to Mexico and Belize to fish. Now I will be retiring from taking groups to Baja. I've been doing this for 26 years and ready to do something else. If I get a wahoo on a fly in October, retirement could come earlier.
    K9mark, good luck in your big move.

I sold my store in 2001, that's 17 years ago. But it took about a year to finalize everything before moving to our cabin in Soda Springs. Trout creeks, trout lakes, trout ponds EVERYWHERE. But, I got tired of trout and wanted something bigger. I found myself coming down the hill several times a week to fish salmon in Oroville, and then stripers, and then the salt took over.

One day on the way home from fishing salmon my wife says "why don't we buy a trailer, and do the snowbird thing?" Before we got home I bought a new Dodge truck. Next weekend we bought a trailer, and took off. For two years. All we did is fish. Three months chasing salmon in Oroville, then three months chasing stripers in the delta at Sugar Barge. Then three months going after steelhead along the coast. Then it was three months again chasing stripers in the spring. Before you knew it, it was salmon time again.

Yes, retirement is great. But you have to plan for it.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Quote Originally Posted by k9mark View Post
    We left California Aug 1st for Idaho Falls and it is wonderful! So glad to be out of CA. Every day I can flip a coin and fish a different world class river. Oh, and did I mention the fishing is great? Sorry, don't want to rub it in too much.
    Ten years for me! There is lots to be said for getting paid not to be there. Retirement is great as long as you have a way to stay busy doing what you enjoy. It sounds like that's the case.
    Now, about getting old.............

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    Shhhh....you're supposed to tell everyone that the fishing sucks! Always mention the huge number of Grizzlys that inhabit the area and how the Moose chase fisherman out of the water.

Just kidding of course. Welcome to IF!
    Like the bumper sticker here in Bozeman (my LEO retirement sanctuary city) says, "Montana is full, I hear that North Dakota is nice!"

Damn, sounds great. Unfortunately, I seem to be going the other way. I was looking at about a year and a half away, have my son-in-law and daughter in the business as the next generation. All things in place. Very suddenly, my 30 year old son-in-law passed away a week and a half ago, leaving my daughter and two year old granddaughter. SO a bit more work now, and we'll see what new path I go down.

Right now, it's all about the daughter and granddaughter.