Thread: Lower Klamath with a Drift Boat

Default Lower Klamath with a Drift Boat

Bill and Bruce's posts have gotten me interested in floating the Klamath for half-pounders. I'm thinking about taking my driftboat and doing a multi-day float from Weitchpec to Klamath around the Labor Day time frame.

How long would the float take if we just drift downstream without stopping to fish? Looks like current flows are around 2500 cfs at the mouth.

How many days should I plan for if we're going to fish? I'm thinking 3 days with 2-3 nights on the river.

Any thoughts on where (and where not) to camp? I don't want to offend any of the locals by camping on sensitive tribal lands.
    Last edited by TahoeJoe; 08-08-2018 at 09:45 AM.

First thing is the shuttle is brutal.

There are approximately forty mile of river in which you are looking at, average speed of the river is about four miles an hour. There are miles of dead water and the wind is a factor. Coon Creek falls is below Martins Ferry and I have not seen it this year so do not know what it looks like.

On certain years about that time the Trinity releases increased flows and that can be a factor, check anticipated flow releases. At times it can blow out the lower river.

Bears! There are more bears in this area that almost any place in the lower forty eight. Keep a clean camp.

As far as encroaching on private property you will have to be diligent. Ask questions of the locals.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like a lot of flat water to work through in an oar powered boat. So, figure 10-12 hours float time without pushing too hard?

I hadn't thought about the increased Trinity releases, I've seen that firsthand, it was probably good for the fish and the river but not so much for the fishing.

I'm trying to work out a shuttle with an HSU student who can take the truck and trailer back to Arcata and then meet us in Klamath Glen at an arranged time. I figure the shuttle through Willow Creek is easier than up and over the hill. It probably doesn't take that much longer either.

Joe, it's only an hour and a half from Arcata to Weitchpec (depending on how fast your drive). The "over the hill" route would take much longer.

Bruce is right about the dead water and wind. If it's blowing upstream, you could literally be at a standstill in the river. Having just a little motor to get through the long stretches of frog water is highly recommended.

He's also right about the bears. I've had my fair share of encounters in the Orleans area. And I've never seen so much scat anywhere else in CA. Crazy.

But man......that would be a sweet trip to camp on a nice sandy beach deep in the inaccessible area of the Klamath. But get a motor on that boat and you'll be much happier and it will give you more time to fish.

~Jeff

From my home to Martins Ferry Bridge is about five or ten minutes difference if I go back to Willow Creek or over Bald Hills to Orrick. If going to the Glenn going over the top would same an hour or more.

I was on the river yesterday and there was an up stream wind all day. I passed two guys in a raft heading down stream below Knapps. When I came back down I stopped and talked to them. They said they were trying to get to the boat ramp that afternoon. There was no way they were going to make it so I gave them a tow down to Blakes.

So heads up on floating the lower river.

Thanks for the intel Bruce. I'm still considering the float but I may just go walk and wade.

There's obviously a reason most folks use a jet boat to get around on the lower river.

Joe sent you a PM.