Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: American river begins its descent

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Actually this year they’re changing that. They’re releasing at least half of them back into the river from the hatchery. And lots of Coleman steelhead were spread throughout the valley rivers/creeks. My buddy even caught some in some Bay Area streams.
    The Coleman strain on the American River is a failed experiment in establishing a summer run fish into an environment which cannot possibly sustain it by natural means... 2016 was a more serious study/attempt by CDFW but it has been tried many times in years past and it just cannot and will not ever work. The way water is managed (mismanaged), along with unfavorable flow and temperature regimes, makes the AR unsuitable for a summer run of steelhead. The only way it could ever work would be if a ladder were provided to allow access to the headwaters above Natoma and Folsom Lakes and I unfortunately do not see that happening in our lifetime...

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    The Coleman strain on the American River is a failed experiment in establishing a summer run fish into an environment which cannot possibly sustain it by natural means... 2016 was a more serious study/attempt by CDFW but it has been tried many times in years past and it just cannot and will not ever work. The way water is managed (mismanaged), along with unfavorable flow and temperature regimes, makes the AR unsuitable for a summer run of steelhead. The only way it could ever work would be if a ladder were provided to allow access to the headwaters above Natoma and Folsom Lakes and I unfortunately do not see that happening in our lifetime...
    I didn’t refer to them as a summer run. Winter through spring people I know have been catching them. The moke got lots of them. I didn’t see many eel strain caught last year though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    I didn’t refer to them as a summer run. Winter through spring people I know have been catching them. The moke got lots of them. I didn’t see many eel strain caught last year though.
    The term 'summer run' is derived from the fishes' adult life cycle and life history not when they are caught in a river. A steelhead can be caught at any time during its life but steelhead (and salmon and other fish species as well) are predisposed to begin their spawning migration in a distinct season.

Eel River steelhead, even when transplanted to another river like the AR, are still winter-run fish and begin their migration in late November-February. Coleman strain steelhead are summer run fish in that on their natal river (The Sacramento) they begin their adult migration in June. They can continue to come in to the river through March of the following year but they are termed 'summer run' steelhead.

On the American, in 2016, the great returns of Coleman transplants came in earnest in late September but they weren't 'fall fish'; they were summer-run fish which, though planted in the American River 2.5 years before, required the temperature of the American River to cool down before entering. The Sacramento River would be cold enough in June/July and since that is their native waters, they are deemed 'summer-run' steelhead.

Prior to the mid 1950's, before Nimbus Dam was built, the strain of SUMMER steelhead NATIVE to the American River... would enter the mouth at Discovery in April and migrate to the headwaters (North, South and Middle Forks of the American River and its tributaries) and continue coming into the river through the summer months. During this time, their ovaries/eggs and gonads/milt would be significantly under-developed but ultimately, the fish would ripen and spawn in the winter/early spring.

Hopefully, this provides some clarification and does not insult your intelligence because you were already aware...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    EDawg, There won’t be many Coleman fish because the Hatchery killed every one that entered the Hatchery. Two Falls ago was a blast when they showed up. I was getting 3-4 every outing. Last Fall they didn’t return but I’m sure there’s a few holdovers swimming around and should be adult size.
    Those were hella fun to catch...and very very strong. Had a few great fights even on my
    7 weight. Crossing my fingers some are still around, or that some show up like Rossflyguy wrote.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    Those were hella fun to catch...and very very strong. Had a few great fights even on my
    7 weight. Crossing my fingers some are still around, or that some show up like Rossflyguy wrote.

Eric
    It's possible, even likely that there are a few (VERY FEW) in the river as hold-overs. It's also possible that some of the fish released in the AR as juveniles, stayed in the salt an extra year and will come up this fall but the numbers should be greatly diminished from the returns in 2016 just as they were reduced in 2017.

There is less variation in age class of summer-run fish than in winter fish. It makes sense. Summer-run fish are genetically programmed to go as high up in the system as possible to stay cold enough to survive summer and fall temperatures and successfully reach maturity to ripen and successfully spawn.

Smaller tributaries (of valley rivers in California) could not historically sustain large-bodied fish in significant numbers. That's one reason summer run fish almost always come up as 2 or 3 year olds and rarely, if ever as 4 or 5 year olds (especially nowadays).

I wouldn't expect to see many Coleman fish in the AR this fall since it would mean A) iteroparity (repeat spawning) which only occurs in 2% of the fish taken even at the hatchery of origin (Battle Creek) so would be far less to non-existent on the AR... or B) the experimental fish released on the AR stayed out in the ocean an extra year and decided to come up as 4 year olds. This, too, is unlikely. In 30 years, I have seen ONE Coleman Hatchery Steelhead caught on the American River over 5lbs and even on the Sacranmento River where thousands of Coleman-Strain steelies are caught each year, it is rare to see one over 5lbs.
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 08-03-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Very interesting stuff. Thanks.

I remember when I first started fishing the
    American for half pounders around 2001/2002. Seems like every
    few outings I’d at least get a couple. Blue backs I think?

My first ever steelhead was caught at the infamous clay
    banks above Watt Ave. On a red fox squirrels tail! Haven’t
    used one since! Maybe I should.

I miss those days.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    Cool write up on the colman fish thanks.
    They must have clear markings to be identified. I wouldn't know if I've had one in the net.
    They are characterized by a thick body for their relatively smaller size, and prominent red cheeks and/or band along the lateral line (but so are the Central Valley strain and Feather and Moke strains). What sets them apart for me is A) Denser Patterning of dots with a heavy concentration on face and head and above lateral line and B) Very few dots below the lateral line, especially posterior to the pectoral fins. There's actually a cluster of dense spots (below the lateral line) between the operculae (gill covers) and about 1.5-2" past the pectoral fins but they end there and the lower body is 'spotless' down to the caudal fin. I'll try and put up a photo or two later.

Caught and released this one last Tuesday on a soft hackle, not from the American but the Sac. They are starting to trickle in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	14288

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    Typically, when the river begins a downward trend (or an upward trend in the spring/summer for that matter) the lake level is close to or right at the cusp on which Folsom Lake level is to be maintained. Therefore, the river will likely only flow at 4500 until again, the lake drops below that cusp and then flows will be further reduced.

I don't know the exact schedule nor just how low our Folsom, Oroville, Shasta and other main storage reservoirs will be emptied before approaching the rainy season but a good approximation would be:

Aug 3 = 4500 cfs FOLSOM = 62%
    Aug 10 = 4000 cfs FOLSOM = 60%
    Aug 15 = 3750 cfs FOLSOM = 60%
    Aug 18 = 3500 cfs FOLSOM = 60%
    Aug 24 = 3000 cfs FOLSOM = 57%
    Sept 1 = 2750 cfs FOLSOM = 55%
    Sept 7 = 2500 cfs FOLSOM = 55%
    Sept 15 = 2500 cfs FOLSOM = 50%
    Sept 20 = 2500 cfs FOLSOM = 50%
    Sept 24 = 2500 cfs FOLSOM = 45%
    Sept 30 = 2500 cfs FOLSOM = 45%

and regardless, I've waded the American safely all summer and caught lots of fish so you can wait for stellar reports and/or perfect flows or you can go fish
    I should have gone to Vegas the day I predicted these flows...