Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American river begins its descent

Default American river begins its descent

As expected, the AR will begin dropping.

It was hard to predict exactly what DWR would be doing with flows this year in light of the decent snow-pack and near-capacity reservoirs both in low-lying and high-altitude areas...

I extrapolated from the Data Center website and saw that Folsom Lake had a median capacity of 65% in July, going back as far as the 1970's. Yet, with the new spillway and its ability to release more water quickly, there was the potential to keep the lake fuller.

When I saw the snow all melted in mid to late July, I wondered how the lake was still receiving incoming flows of 3000cfs at times. I had forgotten to account for all of the reservoirs which, when full, contribute a significant amount to the level of Folsom Lake. Folsom Lake has been decreasing in volume by 1% every 3rd day or so.

The flows out of Folsom increased to its peak and current exit rate of 5,000 cfs which DWR has maintained throughout the entire month of July. Folsom Lake dropped from 94% to 62% in a matter of 9 weeks.

On May 23, 2018 Folsom Lake level peaked.
    05/23/2018 05:00 463.93 ft 953,939 af 610 cfs in 3,372 cfs out
    Its current numbers are as follows:
    08/01/2018 08:00 431.67 ft 628,669 af 6,615 cfs in 1,237 cfs out

I figured 60% capacity was likely the target 'magic number' for August 1 and DWR just released its tapering flow schedule to support that.

The flows are coming down 500cfs and this should be the beginning of an approach to a maintained flow of 3000cfs-2500cfs on our American River by September if not sooner.

Here's the projected flow

DATE / TIME REL SCH
    08/02/2018 21:00 4900 cfs
    08/02/2018 22:00 4800 cfs
    08/02/2018 23:00 4700 cfs
    08/03/2018 00:00 4600 cfs
    08/03/2018 01:00 4500 cfs

Let's hope some half pounders start showing up! Love wet wading in 90 degree heat
    after work or on the weekend.

4500 cfs is a tad high in some places, so we'll see.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    Let's hope some half pounders start showing up! Love wet wading in 90 degree heat
    after work or on the weekend.

4500 cfs is a tad high in some places, so we'll see.

Eric
    Typically, when the river begins a downward trend (or an upward trend in the spring/summer for that matter) the lake level is close to or right at the cusp on which Folsom Lake level is to be maintained. Therefore, the river will likely only flow at 4500 until again, the lake drops below that cusp and then flows will be further reduced.

I don't know the exact schedule nor just how low our Folsom, Oroville, Shasta and other main storage reservoirs will be emptied before approaching the rainy season but a good approximation would be:

Aug 3 = 4500 cfs FOLSOM = 62%
    Aug 10 = 4000 cfs FOLSOM = 60%
    Aug 15 = 3750 cfs FOLSOM = 60%
    Aug 18 = 3500 cfs FOLSOM = 60%
    Aug 24 = 3000 cfs FOLSOM = 57%
    Sept 1 = 2750 cfs FOLSOM = 55%
    Sept 7 = 2500 cfs FOLSOM = 55%
    Sept 15 = 2500 cfs FOLSOM = 50%
    Sept 20 = 2500 cfs FOLSOM = 50%
    Sept 24 = 2500 cfs FOLSOM = 45%
    Sept 30 = 2500 cfs FOLSOM = 45%

and regardless, I've waded the American safely all summer and caught lots of fish so you can wait for stellar reports and/or perfect flows or you can go fish

We usually see Half-pounders from Watt Avenue down to Cal-Expo / Paradise Beach is late August.

Sept/Oct are good months for these nice fish.

We would go out at 6:00 am and fish for a few hours.

Last few hours in the evening can be good too.

For years we used a #6 weight outfit with a floating line, 9' 3x leader and a small #12 wet fly of your choice.

Caddis seem to be the most popular patterns.

Be sure to fish barbless.

I can meet you on the river and give you an hour of very basic instruction for free.

Here is an article I wrote on the Lower American River:

http://www.billkiene.com/articles/lower-american-river/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Mark, you nailed it exactly as you told me yesterday. I'm looking forward to when it drops to 3000 cfs because it will make wading easier in locations I like to fish.

My favorite flow for single handed fly fishing is 2,000 cfs.

I hope we get a good run of Fall Half-pounder Steelhead.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Mark, you nailed it exactly as you told me yesterday. I'm looking forward to when it drops to 3000 cfs because it will make wading easier in locations I like to fish.
    I'll track you down and let you know when I go down there Jeff...maybe we can meet for a few
    hours and catch up!

Man, I'd love to see those Coleman steelhead appear again...loved fishing for them.

Eric

EDawg, There won’t be many Coleman fish because the Hatchery killed every one that entered the Hatchery. Two Falls ago was a blast when they showed up. I was getting 3-4 every outing. Last Fall they didn’t return but I’m sure there’s a few holdovers swimming around and should be adult size.

EDawg, There won’t be many Coleman fish because the Hatchery killed every one that entered the Hatchery. Two Falls ago was a blast when they showed up. I was getting 3-4 every outing. Last Fall they didn’t return but I’m sure there’s a few holdovers swimming around and should be adult size.
    Actually this year they’re changing that. They’re releasing at least half of them back into the river from the hatchery. And lots of Coleman steelhead were spread throughout the valley rivers/creeks. My buddy even caught some in some Bay Area streams.

The reason for the killing was because of some bacteria they carried. Quite a few articles about this subject.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"