Thread: Fishing in Church: A Fish Report

Default Fishing in Church: A Fish Report

The title of this post is deceptive, it should actually read “Fishing in THE Church,” as in the Frank Church Wilderness in Idaho. Since I am of humble means and I am a hard-core DIY kind of guy, I have never hired a guide, a wrangler for a string of mules to carry my gear, or a rafting company to float me down a river so I can fish. If I want to explore a big wilderness area, I do it the old fashioned way: I hike in. I did a similar trip about three years ago into the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana, so I decided to take a look at the second largest wilderness area lower 48 and do some exploring of the Frank Church Wilderness in Idaho.

Welcome to our church!

The hike was pretty straightforward, but rather hot, since a lot of the shading vegetation was, shall we say, “well done.”

Easy views of the stream almost the whole time

The fishing was good, not great, but I was able to catch plenty of these:

Juvenile Steelhead

West Slope Cutts

And a few of these:

Rocky Mountain Bonefish

Not to mention some of these:

Juvenile Chinook Salmon

There were some other tributaries of the many forks of the Salmon River that I fished as well, one pictured here

There was a very small town way out there in the sticks, which actually did have its own gas station. I wonder if they had full service?

After a couple of weeks, I moseyed my way back to California via Oregon, so I could stop and visit some family. On my way back home, I stopped and caught a few salmonid species unique to our state.

The Goose Lake Redband

The Warner Lakes Redband

The Sheepheaven Redband

It was a good trip, plenty of fishing, relaxing and communing with nature, but it’s nice to sleep in my own bed and eat much better food for my meals. I’m also starting to think about where I’m going to go next year…we’ll see.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Man, what an awesome trip!!! I like the Whitey . . . we call them the Whistling Rainbow, with those nice whistle lips.

I thought you were talking about fishing in Lake Guerarro (sp) in Mexico. Caught several nice (4-5 lbs) in the church there back in the really epic days about 45 years ago. But your report was even better. Thanks for the report.