Thread: Delta Bass Reports?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Delta Bass Reports?

I've been hoping to see some Delta bass reports on the Forum but its been pretty quiet, so I decided to post my own report, weak as it may be.... I'm hoping some others with more luck/skill than I do might chime in with some advice?

I fished for a few hours yesterday morning, my first time out since May. Try as I may, after a coffee pit stop, construction traffic on eastbound 580, and time inflating my pontoon/rigging gear, I wasn't on the water in Whiskey Slough until 7 AM. It was dead calm out there, and throwing top water bugs tight to the rock banks brought no grabs. I switched to my other rig and tried subsurface, a black/yellow rubber leg wooly pattern on a sink tip line, for nothing either (didn't give it a lot of time). A slight breeze picked up around 8:00 and created a surface ripple; I switched back to my popper rig and continue to pound the bank. Nothing near the bank, but about 15-20' off the rocks, in water I think is roughly 8' deep I started to get into some blowups. Hooked a nice fish that pulled hard/deep and went airborne a few time, the last jump next to my pontoon sent the barbless popper flying. Ugh.... Getting a good look, I think that fish was pushing 4 lbs. I'm guessing the rippled surface helped (certainly does on trout lakes) and I expect the fish were in deeper water even while it was still relatively cool in the early morning. I had more luck popping that bug pretty hard, I imagine the commotion brought the fish up from the deeper water. The ripple died down and so did the bite. At the end of the day, I only had one smallish fish to hand in about 2.5 hours on the water, lost several, but I nonetheless enjoyed being out there. The nice fish willing to come to my fly has me motivated to get back out there again sometime soon. If I was successful in uploading these pics, here are some of the flies I was throwing, my own ties:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	14270

Name:	IMG_0616.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	14271

Name:	P8200028A.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	14272

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0558.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	14273