Thread: Redding

Default Redding

Hope the folks at Redding's Fly Shop are well.
    Such a fast moving and devastating fire.
    Boats lost at Whiskytown. Redding is such
    a neat area for the outdoorsman.
    Best wishes for all in that area. We hope
    for better news.
    Ocean temps at Del Mar were 81 yesterday/
    Crazy! Had epic surf fishing today @ Blacks
    with the yellow fin croaker.
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Nice write up Larry!! And yes hope they are all good! Got a message from a friend that has been up there that they are evacuating quite a few people.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

I just got off the phone with my brother...he's being evacuated. He's near Anderson
    off Hwy 273. It's such a fast moving fire. Feel so bad for him...and to think i was
    complaining about my car problems today. I'm certainly not anymore. Feel lame.

Hoping they get control of this fast so it's not a Santa Rosa repeat.

Eric

It's bad down there. I'm in Trinity County, and the fire is coming towards us too. Part of Lewiston is being evacuated. I had a client lose a house and have a few friends who have been evacuated. It's really horrible in Redding.

I'm north of Red Bluff and the smoke is heavy. The Forrest Service did announce at yesterday afternoons meeting that they got approval for out of state help which would add a 150 trucks and personnel to the fight. As of yesterday there were 38000 people under evacuation order. The almost universal comment from the fire command is this fire is not acting like a normal fire and is burning is several directions at once. Cal Fire says that this fire has burned over five different fires that has occurred in the last 50 years. As of last night at about 9:00 PM the fire was at 83000 acres.

Mitch and goby,
    Stay safe up there you guys! One of my fishing buddies lost his home in the 2003
    Cedar (San Diego county) fire.
    Best to all,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

This is a prime example of our state not putting money into forestry. Removing dead/old growth and controlled burns. You can only stop so many fires in an ecosystem that’s supposed to burn every 20 yrs or so before it becomes one huge pile of match sticks. They’re just too worried about what pronouns to call someone rather than resource management that can take actual lives. My family is donating essentials to Redding. Everyone should donate something for those families.

At latest count, five dead, 536 homes lost; the fire has consumed 81,000 acres and is only 5% contained. Right now, the fire is spreading towards Lewiston on the northwest flank, and the town of Igo on the southwest flank. On Thursday, a huge firestorm driven by winds and 113 degree temperatures, ripped through the Keswick Dam area, destroying Keswick Estates and surrounding homes. It also crossed the Sacramento River and destroyed homes in Lake Redding Estates. Most of the homes lost in this fire occurred during that event, which can only be described as apocalyptic. The firestorm was so intense that it spawned funnel clouds, uprooting trees and leveling everything in its path. Much of Redding is under evacuation. My heart goes out to those who have lost their homes and loved ones.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Talk about surreal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15787.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	14274  

Great news, I received word from my brother last night that he is back
    at his house near Anderson.

Looks like evacuations have been lifted for certain areas. Boy is he happy.
    His house is still there. Sad so many have lost their homes. I'm not going
    to complain about menial problems in my life.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/07/...ed-in-redding/