Thread: Caples Lake, CA

Default Caples Lake, CA

This is a shot across Caples Lake standing on the second Dam. Located in Amador County off Highway 88 you can't miss it, Highway 88 runs across the second Dam. I pass by this lake when I fish on the Carson River in the Hope Valley and around Markleeville in the eastern Sierras. Plenty of good fishing in and around this lake, with small lakes and streams teaming with Trout.

It was quite hazy due to smoke that day as can be seen in the image... but I took the shot anyway. The Pacific Crest Trail runs just behind those mountains in the background. Caples lake is located at 7820 feet ASL and 80 miles SE of Sacramento.

Enjoy,

Don

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAPLES LAKE EAST  07-18-18.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	14267

Nice clouds even though it was smokey. I backpacked recently near Yosemite and the smoke was so bad I took no landscape shots. One day there was some blue sky and it was surprisingly beautiful after five days of yellow and brown.

I am guessing pescatore means fisherman in Italian. That is a good name.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Nice clouds even though it was smokey. I backpacked recently near Yosemite and the smoke was so bad I took no landscape shots. One day there was some blue sky and it was surprisingly beautiful after five days of yellow and brown.

I am guessing pescatore means fisherman in Italian. That is a good name.

I dislike shooting with haze and smoke, it takes much longer in the editing process to tone it down where it is acceptable.

Yes Pescatore... Fisherman in Italian. I enjoy using unique screen names and yet meaningful...on the various sites I belong to.

I Watched your Video of fishing in Canada, the underwater shots were very good. I also enjoyed the fights you had with the Bass, they can put up some good ones, but pound-for-pound a Crappie is a helluva fighter and the Shad give me a good workout in the areas of the American I fish.

Re,

Don

I do like the underwater fish shot, especially for the trout. I got interested in it last year. You do need clear water and pretty good light. A steelhead underwater shot would be nice but you often have low light and dirty water especially for the winter fish. I am thinking fall on the Trinity might be my best chance for good sub surface steelhead. A big brown would look really cool. I am thinking of getting an underwater housing for my DSLR. That would be cumbersome to haul around but might get some really good results. You have to move fast to get the fish shots so the housing might be too much to deal with. I may try it any way. Failure is celebrated in Silicon Valley so why not.

Sounds like you know photo editing pretty well. I am an amateur there for sure. The class I took covered some editing. It was pretty general photography but I did get some good things out of it.

Good to have you on the board.
    Last edited by John H; 07-27-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I do like the underwater fish shot, especially for the trout. I got interested in it last year. You do need clear water and pretty good light. A steelhead underwater shot would be nice but you often have low light and dirty water especially for the winter fish. I am thinking fall on the Trinity might be my best chance for good sub surface steelhead. A big brown would look really cool. I am thinking of getting an underwater housing for my DSLR. That would be cumbersome to haul around but might get some really good results. You have to move fast to get the fish shots so the housing might be too much to deal with. I may try it any way. Failure is celebrated in Silicon Valley so why not.

Sounds like you know photo editing pretty well. I am an amateur there for sure. The class I took covered some editing. It was pretty general photography but I did get some good things out of it.

Good to have you on the board.
    John:

I use a Nikon AW-100 for shooting while wading, it does a fairly good job and I don't have to worry about diping in the drink. Nikon should have made a remote LCD monitor that could be tethered to the camera with an attachment that would allow attaching to the arm above the water line so one could see under the water and manipulate that camera while viewing the LCD display.

As for the DSLR's... I use a Nikon D3 and a D800E Medium Format, they only get close to the water when I am shooting from the bank with a long Telephoto lens. When I was in the Navy, I used a Nikonos 35mm underwater camera when diving, it was an excellent camera for general use. Waterproof DLSR enclosures a pretty pricy for an amateur photographer and the cheap ones.... well, not for me.

Regards,

Don