Thread: Tips on fly fishing for "half-pounders" on the American River for July/Aug

Question Tips on fly fishing for "half-pounders" on the American River for July/Aug

Hey guys,

So I am now suffering from Shad withdrawals and am trying to figure out my next fix.

As this is my first season fishing on the American river (I was raised with the Yuba River headwaters in my backyard mainly using indicators and dry flies for trout and no steelhead because of Bullards Bar Dam), I wanted to get some tips on how to fish for these half-pounders. I do understand that the action may not occur as often as it did with Shad, but I figured it is still worth a try.

I will be wading and I assume the preferred method would be swinging for half-pounders as it seems most of the pocket water is only accessible by boat to use an indicator. While swinging, do you "jig" the rod similar to fishing for Shad or do a dead drift and let the fly/flies rise up at the end of the swing? Any other tips?

Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance. On an unrelated note, it was crazy going out fishing last night and being the only fisherman on the water compared to a month ago fishing almost shoulder to shoulder. I did see some fish rise about the last 20 minutes before dark, but I couldn't figure out what they were going for.

PS I do understand that there are stripers in the river right now but fishing for them is even more foreign to me... although do have a few clousers just in case

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    Usually the river (lower AR)is about 70+ deg. this time of year. They seem to be holding more water in Shasta plus there was more upper lake water in the Sierras. Take those clousers out and strip them in hard and quick. I'm just passing what I've been told. I need to get out and try it too.
    I guess I better try that more. I appreciate your reply.

Default Half-pounder steelhead info

Pvillar;

For more information on half-pounder steelhead and fly fishing, check out my book The Half-Pounder, A Steelhead Trout Life History and Fly Fishing. Only 500 signed and numbered copies printed in 2015, about 50 left, 240 pages, full color hardback book, describes the origin of steelhead and half-pounder names; half-pounder evolution, distribution, and life history; important half-pounder rivers; fly fishing equipment and presentations; and historical and current flies for half-pounders. Published by Gardull Graphics, Folsom, CA, printed by ThinkInk, El Dorado Hills, CA, available online at www.dennisplee.com

Dennis

They usually come into the lower reaches around Paradise Beach/Cal-Expo/Howe/Watt in late August.

Sept/Oct are usually top months.

Extremely early in the day for a couple of hours is good and then late in the day too.

I use a floating line, leader as long as your rod to 3x and almost any unweighted #12 wet fly/nymph.

In the evenings you can have some caddis activity and use trout tactics to catch them.

Some years there are almost none, some years it can be OK and some year it can be wonderful.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    They usually come into the lower reaches around Paradise Beach/Cal-Expo/Howe/Watt in late August.

Sept/Oct are usually top months.

Extremely early in the day for a couple of hours is good and then late in the day too.

I use a floating line, leader as long as your rod to 3x and almost any unweighted #12 wet fly/nymph.

In the evenings you can have some caddis activity and use trout tactics to catch them.

Some years there are almost none, some years it can be OK and some year it can be wonderful.

It sounds like I am a month early...I guess I will take up another hobby in the meantime lol. Thanks for the advice.