Thread: Emigrant-Yosemite

Default Emigrant-Yosemite

These pictures are from backpacking in Emigrant Wilderness and a little into Yosemite. A lot of smoke in the air from the Ferguson fire. Mosquitoes were still out at higher elevation which was a little surprising. Wildflowers were great. Seemed like the water was warm and the fish had moved deeper as I did not see as many cruisers as I did the last two years I was up there. The underwater photo is definitely my new favorite fish shot. Everything was taken on an Olympus TG4. Some with a 19mm lens attached.

I redid my backpacking box last winter. Let’s fish!!

Watching and waiting for a cruiser to come by. Old rod but an even older hand.

Classic Yosemite trail sign. I suspect these are from the WPA era although this one has a new post.

This is what remains of the fence they used to have along the northerly boundary of Yosemite to keep hunters and grazing animals out.

A good sized shoreline cruiser from Emigrant Lake.

Another nice Emigrant Lake shoreline cruiser.

Huckleberry Lake on a sinking line.

Inlet stream at Upper Twin Lake. Had to put the sneak on this one.

Lower Twin Lake. Beautiful blue background. A cruiser finally came by.
    Last edited by John H; 08-17-2018 at 05:37 PM.

I am jealous, looks like fun with some nice trout! Great pictures too, those underwater shots are awesome.

Super report John. So you hiked in that far? And Huckleberry is
    another 6 miles past Emigrant.

I’m impressed. You obviously have some legs. Jeff F and I did the horseback trip out of
    Kennedy Meadows last year. Over 3,000 ft elevation gain.

How many days was your trip? We are doing
    it again next year for probably 5-6 days.

That last pic is magazine worthy. Awesome.

Eric

Eric -

I recall Jeff talking about your trip. Float tubes, pack horses and pretty good fishing if I remember right. I have done a few pack horse trips myself but as a solo walking gives me more freedom. This trip I hiked a six day loop starting at Crabtree and going to Emigrant, Twin, Huckleberry and Big Lake although Big is off the loop. I went in at Kennedy Meadows one year but Crabtree is a little less driving. There is a pack station at Crabtree also. I think the operator is the brother of the guy running the Kennedy Meadows pack station. I can cover some ground. I seem to have a love for suffering which sounds weird but it makes you feel alive. I mentioned the lakes I visited but they are a long way in and I think anyone that goes in that far will appreciate the place and the fish and take good care of them. I am glad you liked the post. It makes it worth doing.
    Last edited by John H; 07-25-2018 at 08:53 AM.

“Love for suffering.”

Lol, i can see that. Pushing yourself similarly to a gym
    or bike workout. Only way worse. We did a pain trip
    to lower Velma last July. Felt good to accomplish.

Good stuff John. Man I can’t wait to go again now! Our plan
    next year is to set up camp at Emigrant lake, same as last year
    and go east for day trips to Emigrant Meadow and Middle Emigrant.
    One of them holds big Brookies.

Eric

Love that first picture!! What a trip that's the type of photo that makes a fly fisherman like me salivate : p