Thread: Norway Fly Fishing?

Default Norway Fly Fishing?

I'll be in Oslo, Norway for 4 days in early August. Anyone have any knowledge of fly-fishing there? I think it's famous for Atlantic Salmon, so maybe that should be my target. I've already caught grayling in Alaska. Looks like there are some browns in Norway but I've caught plenty of them as well. Based on some quick research I uncovered the Norwegian Flyfisher's Club which is based on the Gaula River, 5-6 hours north of Oslo: http://nfc-online.com/ I was hoping for something a little closer to Oslo.

I'll also be in Swizterland for about 9 days -- Zurich, Basel, Lauterbrunnen and Wengen -- if anyone has advice for that area.

I won't have any gear, so I'll probably need a guide.

Thanks in advance for any tidbits. If I do end up fishing I'll certainly post something.
    Last edited by Troutsource; 07-22-2018 at 11:56 PM.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Just came back from Norway, and did a lot of saltwater fly fishing in northern Norway. You will have options for fishing trout in streams and rivers, but it's too late, and you may not be wealthy enough, for time on real productive Atlantic salmon water. I suspect you'll need to get away from Oslo for any real high probability fishing experiences. I caught cod, pollock, and sei in saltwater from shore, with follows from both sea trout and Atlantic salmon. Pike in freshwater may be possible.

I ended up fishing the Rena River about 2.5 hours north of Oslo and landed 2 medium-sized browns and three chunky greylings. The river itself was a rather bland, flat stretch of water that seemed almost channelized, and resembled a spring creek. I blew $700 on mediocre gear and $200 on a car rental. But at least I got to see the Norwegian countryside, which reminded me of parts of southeast PA.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

That still pretty cool. Any pics?

Here you go. Not exactly the high-sticking pocket water I was hoping for. The grayling was actually bigger than it looks in the picture -- probably 15"-16" and fat. The water below the dam had a little more structure along the banks but was very deep. I fished there around 10pm (10:30 sunset), and stupidly decided to check my email in which a local informed me of my proximity to wolf country. So I left around 10:30. There was some hatch activity but not a ton, and I scored one of my graylings on a dry caddis in the dam area. I ran into 3 Swedish guys who said fishing was bad all throughout Scandinavia due to the unusually hot and dry conditions. The Rena actually had just re-opened the day before I fished there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1735.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	14310

Name:	IMG_1732.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	14311

Name:	IMG_1727.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	14312

Name:	IMG_1726.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	14313

Name:	IMG_1721.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	14314
    Last edited by Troutsource; 08-15-2018 at 10:17 PM.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Thanks for the report....Great stuff. Man, that is some thick forest.

Always wanted to catch a grayling. Wolf country...hmmm, no thanks,
    I think I would have bolted too.

Thanks for sharing.

Eric

The grayling had a reddish-brown color to it, whereas those that I caught in Alaska were greyish-blue. I subsequently read that there are two strains of graylings so maybe that would explain it. I always wanted to catch one, but then after a few I viewed them almost as junk fish impeding my ability to catch trout. They have a much slower and steadier rise to a dry fly and fight more like a bottom fish than a trout.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

I didn't know there were two strains...interesting. Yes, I've heard that about grayling fights as well.