Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post

From a common sense point of view, a spear gun is a GUN no different than a crossbow or other weapon that is construed as threatening. It has no place in waterways/parkways considered in a urban/sub-urban area, especially populated areas where people/families-children leisurely recreate. This is just stooopid to even debate. It's just plain common sense in today's times.

... BTW, I can get cited for discharging a .177 pellet gun in that same urban parkway or worse, be ID as a mass-gunman and get taken out by LEOs.
That's a pretty soft argument you make... Discharging a firearm, pellet gun or loosing an arrow/bolt in the parkway would be, in my eyes, unsafe. This is coming from an extensive hunting background too. But to claim that firing a tethered spear underwater, or "shooting" a pole spear underwater is just as unsafe as the aforementioned examples is a bit of a stretch.

The river is state property and the land around it is the parkway. Different laws apply to each.

Quote Originally Posted by leicafish View Post
I looked up the regs for spearfishing on the American.
Gary
Can you post a link to this information?

For everyone else who is against it, the bottom line is that it is legal whether we agree with it or not. If you want the law changed, write your congressman instead of taking the same amount of time to bitch about it on here and get nowhere. I'd be real curious to see how many of the folks crying on the forums would take the time to write a letter to someone who has the power to make a difference.